Jailbreak Questions

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by bwfc0907, Sep 27, 2008.

1. bwfc0907 macrumors regular

Hi
    I've just bought my first iPhone and am more than pleased.

I keep reading articles on jailbraking but am unsure if to do it. I like the thought of a video camera and tethering. I just need a few questions answering from people who know and don't just guess. My current firmware is 2.1 and I use Vista on my PC.

1. How hard is jailbreaking 2.1, what are the risks, what is the recommended way of performing a jailbreak?
    2. Do you lose everything from your iphone everytime a firmware is updated?
    3. Do you still have access to Apps Store, iTunes, etc?
    4. Do you find you spend a lot of time restoring when some Apps fail?

Thanks in advance.

2. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

1)Not hard AT ALL(took me less than 5 minutes), risks: none really, if anything happens restore via iTunes,

recommended: QuickPwn.com <<--- download that, and then follow on screen instructions

2)Yes you lose everything on the phone, if you have a backup, you can restore from backup, or resync
    3)yes you have access to everything.
    4)No I only restored lets see...once because of Apple Logo of Death

when it says hold home/sleep button in QuickPwn, you actually have to do that lol.

3. bwfc0907 thread starter macrumors regular

2. So basically if 2.2 comes out I back up my phone, then jailbreak, then restore and everything is as it was.

What are the benefits of not jailbreaking then, if its just a better phone after the break. What stops people jailbreaking?

4. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

People normally don't jailbreak for the fear of them losing warrenty. But, that is overcome by resoring via iTunes. and yeah. the phone is alot better with JB'd. Pretty much everything that Apple didn't put on iPhone. you can do it for free by jailbreaking. And you can customize the WHOLE look of the phone. and yes if 2.2 comes out, you'll need to jailbreak AGAIN after you update.

5. krayziekray macrumors 6502

Two quick jailbraking questions

Hi everyone,

I'm seriously thinking about Jail braking my iPhone 3G simply due to the fact that Apple are starting to annoy me by restricting me to customise my phone to how I want it.

I have a few questions before I finally do it:

1. Do I loose my warranty if I Jailbreak my iPhone (I’m in the UK)? I read in this thread that this can be overcome by doing a simple restore in iTunes, but is there anyway an Apple "genius" or whoever I return my iPhone to "if" it goes faulty, can check to see if it was previously jail broken?

2. Whilst jail braking the phone, should anything go wrong in the process ... will I end up bricking my iPhone, or will a simple restore with the original iPhone firmware bring it back to a working state?

Thanks in advance,

Krayzie Kray

:apple: :D :apple: