Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NavySEAL6

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 13, 2006
Hey, I'm trying to jailbreak my iPhone 3GS with iOS4 on it. I'd like to know from people who are experienced with jailbreaking how risky is it? What are the chances of my phone becoming a brick, or the battery life being ruined? Also are all the normal iOS4 features still intact? Basically I need a full list of advantages and disadvantages. My main reason to do this is I want to buy an iPad with WiFi and enable tethering.

brunetmj

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2010
Upstate, NY
I have the 3GS with OS 4. The trick to jailbreaking
is to make sure each app downloaded with cydia is working properly before proceding to another app.
Cydia allows for removal of apps with it's modify section.No functions of OS4 will change unless you want them to.I would say the risk is nill if you procede carefully and systematically.
If worse comes to worse you can still restore

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Hey, I'm trying to jailbreak my iPhone 3GS with iOS4 on it. I'd like to know from people who are experienced with jailbreaking how risky is it? What are the chances of my phone becoming a brick, or the battery life being ruined? Also are all the normal iOS4 features still intact? Basically I need a full list of advantages and disadvantages. My main reason to do this is I want to buy an iPad with WiFi and enable tethering.

You cannot brick a 3GS except for sudden hardware failure, which has nothing to do with firmware modifications.

Jailbreaking is easy and a 3GS can run jailbroken iOS 4 or 4.0.1 with no slowdown.

If you want a full list, best to start reading.

NavySEAL6

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 13, 2006
Can you point me in the right direction? What method do you guys recommend and what do I need to know before I start doing this?

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Can you point me in the right direction? What method do you guys recommend and what do I need to know before I start doing this?

If you are already on 4.0.1 just point the safari browser on the phone to jailbreakme.com. Move the slider to the right and sit back and watch it happen.

After you finish the jailbreak you can secure the browser by going to Cydia and installing the PDF patch, this plugs the hold that the JB exploit uses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.