Jailbreak Removal Question

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Sunsean, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Sunsean macrumors 6502

Hi - I jailbroke my iphone just to use tetherme to edit my mms apn settings for straight talk. I have nothing against jb, I just don't really need/want any other tweaks or features right now and would like to remove the jailbreak to go back to stock, in large part because it's a tethered jb and it makes me nervous...my question is can I do this while still keeping my new mms apn settings?

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

My guess is if you do a sync/backup in iTunes with your current settings, then restore to stock and do an iTunes restore to backup, the APN settings will be restored along with all the other settings as you last backed them up.

That said, I have never used different APN settings to see if they come back with a restore to backup.

3. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

No you cannot, as soon as you restore the APN will go back to what they are suppose to be, those are not backup by itunes, they are preselected at activation time.

4. Sunsean thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm, are you sure? Because with my straight talk service, the data apn had to be changed to work when first activated (didn't need jb to do this). But I have since backed up and restored a build with the altered data apn, and the data has worked after restore, meaning it didn't reset to what it was when I first got the phone...wonder if the same would be true of the mms apn...

I guess my other question is if I make a backup of my current jailbroken phone, and then factory reset/restore to it, will it be jailbroken or stock? Sorry, I rooted a few Android phones, but this is my first iphone, so still learning.

----------

So if I backup my current jb phone, restore to stock, then restore the backup (of jb iphone) - it will be a stock build with my data but none of the jb stuff? (see question above). Thanks!

5. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

No, restoring a stock phone to a jailbroken backup can introduce all sorts of anomalies .

6. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Positive

7. Sunsean thread starter macrumors 6502

So I would have to remove the jailbreak, THEN make a backup? Or how else could I back up my current settings, return to stock, and then restore to the current settings without the restore being jb?

----------

Ok thanks...I don't really have the knowledge or info to argue with you, I just know from experience that the data apn was restored, even though it had to be edited when I first got the phone. It was through unlockit.com so maybe there's a certificate from there that got restored along with the settings or something.

8. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

You are correct, Certs will come back, since they are backup, system is design that way, so those APN are "user" configureable if you will, by the use of certs, however that is not the case for the Messaging APNs. those are "Carrier" configurable and those are writeable by the carrier setting file, that you get when you activate your phone (and sometime is updated over the air), the jailbreak hack block this updates and allow the user to change it.