Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mich070

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2013
Hey guys!

I am quite new in this whole thing of jailbreaking, but I have there some questions which I would like to get answered before doing anything I don't want to happen to my phone!
So i am an owner of an Iphone 5 with ios 7.1.2 and as I was checking some videos with some useful tweaks, I was thinking to myself that it would be really awesome to have them on my phone. But my question is: After jailbreaking my phone, how would it be possible to "restore" my phone to a new phone if I might do somehthing wrong, but stil staying on ios 7 and to not jump to ios 8.. Is it possible to do it by resetting your phone manually? By this I mean when you do this with your phone? After this I can't restore my things back to my phone from iTunes, as my pictures, messages and etc?

Thank you very much for your help!

mich070

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2013
With or without jailbreaking there's currently no way to restore (fresh install) ios 7 on the iPhone 5.

what I actually last time did was doing under Settings->Reset-> Delete all Contents and Settings. Isn't this kind of a resetting and staying still on ios7 ? After doing this is it possible to restore my data from Itunes, or will I automatically be updated to ios8?

----------

And if your iphone on ios7 is jailbroken, how to unjailbreak it back without having to upgrade to ios 8? Because I really want to stay with ios 7, that s the matter haha

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
And if your iphone on ios7 is jailbroken, how to unjailbreak it back without having to upgrade to ios 8? Because I really want to stay with ios 7, that s the matter haha
Unjailbreaking requires a restore.

Restoring means you get updated to the latest version of iOS being signed by Apple.

There are two jailbreak tweaks, iLEX RAT and Semi-Restore that can wipe all the tweaks from your phone and return it to a just jailbroken condition without restoring your phone. But they still leave you jailbroken.

Simple answer…if you need to restore, jailbroken or not, you cannot restore to any version of iOS that Apple is not signing.

mich070

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2013
Unjailbreaking requires a restore.

Restoring means you get updated to the latest version of iOS being signed by Apple.

There are two jailbreak tweaks, iLEX RAT and Semi-Restore that can wipe all the tweaks from your phone and return it to a just jailbroken condition without restoring your phone. But they still leave you jailbroken.

Simple answer…if you need to restore, jailbroken or not, you cannot restore to any version of iOS that Apple is not signing.

Thank you very much for ur answer my friend!
I guess that you directly answered also this question, but I just want to be sure... And if I just want to set up your phone as new, anyway this is seen as a "restore" and will update me to the lates version of IOS

----------

is there actually a high probability that you have to restore your phone because of a jailbreak? I mean for me personally I was thinking about getting simple tweaks like the "Hermes" and not a lot more. Just yeah like I said, I am quiet afraid of having to do a restore because something is not really running well, or my phone has to respring every day at least one time.. I am sorry for these kind of questions but I am really new to this world!

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
is there actually a high probability that you have to restore your phone because of a jailbreak? I mean for me personally I was thinking about getting simple tweaks like the "Hermes" and not a lot more. Just yeah like I said, I am quiet afraid of having to do a restore because something is not really running well, or my phone has to respring every day at least one time.. I am sorry for these kind of questions but I am really new to this world!

I get random resprings and resprings into Safe Mode. If once a day is too much for you it would probably be best if you didn't jailbreak.

Otherwise, there is a very low probability that you would have to restore because of a jailbreak once the device is successfully jailbroken. The probability is highest when doing the actual jailbreak.

If ending up in iOS 8 is that horrible a prospect for you then you might not want to risk it.

Anyway, IMO, it's not a great time to try a jailbreak when the current iOS version (restore version) isn't jailbreak-able unless the consequences of a failure aren't important.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
is there actually a high probability that you have to restore your phone because of a jailbreak?
That all depends on the tweaks you install. If you are careful there should never be a problem. On the other hand, sometimes proven safe tweaks can be an issue.

Just last night I had an upgrade to a tweak I've had installed for a long time. Very stable tweak, never had a problem – until last night. Threw my phone in to a boot loop.

Spent an hour tracking the problem down, but only because my mind was refusing to believe that tweak could be the actual problem!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.