Jailbreak Safety & Banking Dangers?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by modit, Feb 19, 2011.

1. modit macrumors 6502

I watched a report on the CBC last night (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation). It was kinda cool to learn that most of the smartphones today have the same computing power of PCs in 1999. The analyst reported that the phones have the same level of security.

Apparently, someone can replicate a cell signal by using a radio RF thing and a laptop, crash your phone then have access to your bank passwords, ect (I'm guessing this is a windows pre 7 mobile phone).

I recently started to do online banking and I'm using the original greenpoison jailbreak for iOS 4.1 iPhone 4.

Even with unauthorized apps, I'm I on a tight rope? The only time I had a slight scare was 3 years ago on my old iPhone 3G where the app 'TouchPhysics' displayed a message that read "This app is 99 cents which is cheaper then a cup of coffee, so buy the app".

Do some apps still do that message? Anyways , I guess what I'm asking is what is the risk, anything dangerous in the wild and what steps can I take to avoid problems?

Also, should I avoid the Apple Bookstore app? :confused:

2. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

Just change your root access SSH password and you should be fine

3. labman macrumors 604

labman

I would say don't Pirate and you have no worries. btw plenty of official apps in the Apple store have been found out that they collect data with out user knowledge. I bank all the time and am jailbroken I never worry.

4. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

Theres also Firewall IP 2.0 I think... if your really worried

5. modit thread starter macrumors 6502

I just tried it. There was soooooooooooooo many prompts :eek:

I bet it's useful but the 20 pop-ups in a row kills the user experience.

Any tips or other advice?

6. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

Jailbreaking an iPhone greatly reduces security because it turns off code signing and all apps installed via the third party installer run with elevated privileges such that the app can write anywhere in system if exploited. This makes the system much less resistant to viruses and worms.

Code signed apps in non-jailbroken iPhones run with restricted privileges and are sandboxed to better insulate the system from malware threats.