Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sonicthoughts

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2010
I presume others have a similar need for this info and apreciate any assistance from the guru's!

Main Objective: Wifi hotspot / tether
Hardware: 3GS on ATT (unlimited data plan)
iOS: 4.0.1

Questions:
  • What is the best / easiest process to jailbreak? Does it matter which i chose?
  • If I jailbreak before upgrading to 4.1/4.2 will I be able to jailbreak after upgrade?
  • If I want iTunes "restore" will it restore all my data / apps that I backup? What version will it restore to?
  • What is the best way to tether?

FamiliaPhoto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
Chicago, IL
  • What is the best / easiest process to jailbreak? Does it matter which i chose?

If you are on 4.0.1 you can use Jailbreakme.com; I think it is still up. If you are on 4.1 you can use Limerain or Greepois0n, I used Greepois0n on two IP4s and it has worked well each time.

• If I jailbreak before upgrading to 4.1/4.2 will I be able to jailbreak after upgrade?

You will for 4.1 and eventually will for 4.2, but the recommendation is to wait for a while on 4.2. My recommendation is to upgrade to 4.1 then jailbreak, it will make your life easier in my opinion.

• If I want iTunes "restore" will it restore all my data / apps that I backup? What version will it restore to?

I assume you mean getting rid of the jailbreak? If so you want to restore as new phone, this will erase all evidence of the jailbreak. If you restore from backup it will use the most recent backup but there will be remnants of the jailbreak evident in the backup...just an FYI.

When jailbroken there seem to be two popular tools; TetherMe & MyWi. I use MyWi and it works great. Well worth the money in my opinion.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I presume others have a similar need for this info and apreciate any assistance from the guru's!

Main Objective: Wifi hotspot / tether
Hardware: 3GS on ATT (unlimited data plan)
iOS: 4.0.1

Questions:

1) Jailbreakeme if you want to stay on 4.0.1, my advice just go ahead and upgrade to 4.1 and Jailbreak it, use pwnage tool so you can keep your baseband, even if you don't need to unlock, if you ever want to sell your phone it will worth more.

2)yes, you can JB 4.0.1 and them you can JB 4.1

3)When you said "restore" by iTunes, it could means 2 things, Firmware restore or Backup restore. If you asked about fimrware restore, itunes will wipe everything and install a fresh un-jailbroken firmware (it will also update your baseband). It will restore the most current version available (currently at the time of this post 4.1). Firmware restore DO NOT restore any App, Settings, SMSs, etc.

Now, Backup restore, will restore all your settings, game saved, SMS, etc. This is done "after" the firmware restore is done (or at any time if you do it manualy). after you JB itunes will store any data that it is stored on the "userland" of the phone (including some Jailbreaking data), if you ever want to erase any trace of JB, you need to set your phone as new or restore to a backup date before you JB for the first time.

4)"There" is not equal to Mobile Hotpot. If you want a mobile hotspot, the only option you got is to get "MyWI" ($20 on time). If you want to use the stock tether feature, iTether will work for you, ($5), it will enable the tether feature on the phone so you can use it as a modem by Bluetooth or USB.

PDAnet is also available which enable to use WIFI as Ad-hoc for a single client.

ulbador

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2010
Now, Backup restore, will restore all your settings, game saved, SMS, etc. This is done "after" the firmware restore is done (or at any time if you do it manualy). after you JB itunes will store any data that it is stored on the "userland" of the phone (including some Jailbreaking data), if you ever want to erase any trace of JB, you need to set your phone as new or restore to a backup date before you JB for the first time.

I think most people here will agree that this will often cause a ton of problems. I have done this in the past a few times and usually it is unstable and will often cause weird errors. It is generally recommended to set up as new.

mokeiko

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2007
I think most people here will agree that this will often cause a ton of problems. I have done this in the past a few times and usually it is unstable and will often cause weird errors. It is generally recommended to set up as new.

I agree, I always set up as new.

mokeiko

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA

While I agree that "lot" of people seen to encounter some issues after restoring, I had personally never seen any issues. I had every iphone since its originally release on 2007, and every release, every upgrade, every Jailbreak i restore from backup with No issues, I still got on my phone my SMS i sent when i had my Original iPhone.

Not to mention MyWi by nature is hugely insecure..

while true, It is the only "option" for a Mobile HotSpot, Tetherme is not really an "alternative" to MyWI.

lucifiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2009
In your basement
While I agree that "lot" of people seen to encounter some issues after restoring, I had personally never seen any issues. I had every iphone since its originally release on 2007, and every release, every upgrade, every Jailbreak i restore from backup with No issues, I still got on my phone my SMS i sent when i had my Original iPhone.

Wow...that's impressive.

How big must your SMS.db file be?

There are some issues, like jb data being transferred over, one the more noted examples is MIM strings remain after restore from JB back ups.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.