Jailbreak then Restore from Backup...what's left?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by iammike1, Aug 7, 2010.

1. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

Something I've wondered for quite some time. I know that if you jailbreak sync your phone that if you, in the future, restore from backup you will have bits of the jailbreak left in the system.

A prime example of this is if you use MakeItMine then sync and restore from backup, although you are no longer jailbroken, the custom carrier name will remain.

Here's my question....does anyone know exactly what all is left over from the jailbreak if you do this? Has anyone extremely in the know (like someone from DevTeam or the like) ever detailed what files reside outside of the restore from backup process?

2. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

I've asked the same question before and the answer I got was don't do it. It causes problems, I don't know what exactly reads but I know some things installed like battery percentage and those blank apps stay. Good luck I would also like to know more

3. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

A lot of small things are left behind when you restore from a jailbroken backup. Small files containing preferences for jailbreak programs are left behind in the filesystem (which is why when you reinstall a program from Cydia it will sometimes remember your settings).

For stuff like MakeItMine, they work by editing a plist and replacing the carrier name. That edited plist stays in the backup, just because you've removed the tool that made the change doesn't mean the changes magically revert back to stock.

4. Simm0nS777 macrumors 6502a

I right clicked on my iphone in itunes and did a restore from backup that was made recently. I was jailbroken and had mywi, sb settings, bite sms, and a few others and they were all still there after the restore. I thought the jailbreak went away and only a few things like make it mine stayed behind. Why is everything still there?

5. KidFresh macrumors regular

When I had my 3GS, I had changed the AT&T into my own name with MakeItMine. After I got my iPhone 4 (non-JB), I got my name back replacing AT&T after I did my initial iTunes sync. I believe those JB files reside somewhere in iTunes.

6. iammike1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iammike1

You restored a backup....not restored from backup.

It's very different. A restore from backup will reflash the OS then you have to copy all your stuff back on the phone then it will restore the backup.

If you restore A backup, it just copies those backup files over, everything else on the phone is left alone.