Jailbreak thoughts from a first timer.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by AuroraProject, Feb 19, 2011.

1. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

I just wanted to write something for anyone on the fence about jailbreak. I've had iPhones for the last 2+ years and had looked into jb at one point, but decided against due to misconceptions and not doing enough research. I didn't see the point, sure customizing is fun, years ago I had fully customized a Razr and a Slivr. But I just didn't see a real need on the iPhone. I recently had some time off work and looked into jb again.
    This time I decided to try it, I mean if something goes wrong I just restore and go on with my life, what is there to lose? So I backed up my iPhone 4 running 4.2.1 in iTunes and downloaded Greenpois0n rc6. Within 10 minutes I was done, the phone was jailbroken and I was exploring Cydia. I loaded some apps, tried them, removed a few I didn't like, patched the iBooks issue, and started learning.
    I like the stock look of iOS, so I'm not into winterboard and themes at all. I wanted to add a few functional items and make sure it was stable. I'm done playing with it and have settled on the following setup:

MyWi4 for wifi hotspot & tethering ability
    My3g for Facetime over 3g and not needing wifi
    Weathericon, finally a weather icon that tells me the local weather!
    Open Notifier, I really wanted a status bar email indicator
    FakeCarrier, just for fun

Apps I tried but removed:

Lockinfo, not for me, kinda cluttered and I just didn't care for it
    Sbsettings, I can see this being useful for a lot of people, but not for me
    Notified, couldn't get it to work

So now my phone is how I want it, and it does what I need it to do. I can glance at the lock screen to see if i have any email, I can glance at the weather icon and see current conditions, I can use my data connection with my laptop, and I can Facetime from anywhere. Simple functions the phone should come with from the factory.
    If you are thinking about jailbreaking, I say go for it. If you are 100% happy with the phone the way it is, then there's no reason, but if you would like a few added features it's really a no brainer. I have had no stability or battery life issues at all, everything still works exactly as it should.

Special thanks to iMrNiceGuy0023, robots3humans0, james92se, and eastercat for answering my questions.

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Glad you thought the JB was worth it! There are so many different things you can do once its done. Some other great tweaks that are commonly used are barrel, fiveicondock, and fakeclockup.

3. Dandrews524 macrumors 6502

i actually came to this forum looking for info on jailbreaking my verizon iphone, but it all seems so overwhelming. could anyone give me a couple pros and cons for jailbreaking? it would be very helpful. id really like to give it a try but im afraid i will screw something up and brick my phone or void my warranty

4. Wowzera macrumors 6502a

SBSettings is very useful, I thought it was useless in the first time I've used it, but now it's a must-have app for me.

5. Synthion macrumors regular

Yeah, I teach n00bs their way around cydia, winterboard, bosspaper, iconoclasm and the like. Good to see another one come to the dark side. >:)

6. Wowzera macrumors 6502a

actually we're the dark side only for Apple. :D
    We're in the free side :)

7. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

8. BullittMustang macrumors 6502a

How is quick reply working for you? I went to download it and the description said it has problems. What phone and OS do you have?
    Thanks

9. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

BiteSMS is my reason for jail breaking

10. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

You can easily jailbreak a verizon iphone running 4.2.6 with greenp0ison. There are many advantages of jailbreaking. One being that you can use mywifi to tether your iphone to any other device while using your unlimited data plan. (and not pay for tethering) You can also customize your iphone. There are tons of themes and tweaks that can be done. A quick google search would be a good place to start. Some favorites are:
    Barrel
    fiveicondock
    sbsettings
    lockinfo
    fontswap
    fakeclockup

If you don't like the jailbreak, you can always restore on itunes. Voiding the warrantee is really not a big deal. All you have to do is restore and the jailbreak is gone.

11. Dandrews524 macrumors 6502

i ran that exact jailbreak a few hours ago and i havent been able to put my phone down since. i cant believe i waited this long to jailbreak, its like a completely different phone

12. Weiser878 macrumors regular

OP, if you text a lot, I would also recommend Tlert.

I used to use QuickReply but its just too buggy now with 4.2

My essentials are

MyWi
    SBSettings (I need to toggle Wifi on/off quite often, and I like Poof)
    My3G
    Folder Enhancer
    Tlert
    NoLockSreen
    NoSpot
    DirectCloserPro
    5IconDock
    5IconSwitcher

13. BurntReality macrumors 6502

BurntReality

+1
    BiteSMS along with SBsettings are the first 2 things I always install upon jailbreaking.