Jailbreak to fix crashing apps??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Scallywag, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Scallywag macrumors regular

I, like many around here, am unable to open any 3rd party apps...they all crash, every time. I've tried every single thing I could find after days of searching the googles for even a temporary fix. Nothing has worked, and I'm tired of wasting my time.

Has anyone seen their crashing app store apps work after jailbreaking the phone? This is the only thing I've yet to try. Also, has anybody had success in jailbreaking 2.0.2?

I didn't want to hack the thing, but Apple has left me no choice (exaggerating) so I blame them.

Damn this phone..I love it, but it really seems to hate me.:(:mad::confused:

Thanks for the help

2. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Have you tried deleting all the apps from the iPhone, removing them all from iTunes, removing them from your PC, redownloading and reinstalling them?

It worked for a couple of apps I had that were having lots of issues.

Edit: I'm not sure what you think jailbreaking will accomplish....except that a fresh install of your firmware might fix the problem.

3. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

Aloha Scallywag,

Quite an interesting username - I've been called that and worse (Retired Navy, 22 years :D). I echo Geckotek's response. I was forced to restore my iPhone 5 times just last week! After I sat down and thought about it, I unchecked all of the apps in the Applications tab of iTunes then synced my iPhone. That forced the deletion of the apps in their entirety from my iPhone. I then re-installed the apps and now they all work (that was under 2.0.1 - I have since simply upgraded to 2.0.2 without incident), and what's better is that my iPod content (audio and video content) as well as my photo collection are all still there! An added bonus is slightly better battery life and MUCH SHORTER backups!!!

If you would like all of the steps I used (WARNING: I am extremely anal about troubleshooting, so my methodology may seem a bit complex, but it all makes sense), I can add them here.

:apple:HawaiiMacAddict

4. Scallywag thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the help...

Yes, I've deleted all of the apps from iTunes, deleted them from the phone, re-downloaded them, reinstalled them (from the both iTunes and the phone itself...in different instances). I've tried multiple restores. Nothing seems to work. Is there some place other than iTunes in my PC where the app files may still be hiding, and thus not being deleted? Mac old iMac died and I've been using a windows PC that I'm unfamiliar with.

I'm at a loss, which is why I inquire about jailbreaking. Not sure what else to try...thought I don't really expect that to fix the problem. No harm in asking I guess.

If you're willing to post instruction I'd be most grateful for the help. Thanks again!!

5. Joe23 macrumors 6502

I've found that simply rebooting the phone works as a temporary measure. Not ideal, though.

6. barryallott macrumors member

I have had some problems with apps crashing, if you have a jailbroken iphone, download Bossprefs through cydia, then click 'Fix User Permissions' on boss prefs. this fixes alot of common issues.