Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following the December release of the evasi0n jailbreak for iOS 7 devices, several new jailbreak tweaks for the iPhone 5s are in the works, including a newly updated version of AppLocker that is designed to take advantage of the Touch ID sensor of the iPhone 5s.

AppLocker is a tweak that has existed for some time, allowing users to lock individual apps with a password. With iOS 7 and an iPhone 5s, AppLocker is able to lock and unlock apps using Touch ID's fingerprint recognition capabilities. iDownloadBlog has a detailed video of the tweak in use:

AppLocker is only able to access fingerprints that have been entered into the iPhone 5s via the Touch ID menu in the Settings app, and different fingerprints are not distinguished by the system, so there is little setup needed to install the tweak. As demonstrated in the video, app unlocking works as seamlessly as standard device unlocking with Touch ID.

At the current point in time, Touch ID on non-jailbroken devices is limited to unlocking the phone and making purchases in the App Store. It is likely that Apple will expand the use of Touch ID in the future, but it remains unknown whether Apple has plans to release a Touch ID API that would allow the functionality to be built into individual apps as in the AppLocker jailbreak tweak.

The security implications of the Touch ID-supported AppLocker tweak are unknown, as Apple has said that all Touch ID data (in the form of a mathematical representation of a fingerprint) is stored in a "Secure Enclave" inside the A7 processor that is walled off from the rest of iOS and unavailable to iOS or other apps.

According to the developer of the tweak, who spoke to Cult of Mac, AppLocker is not accessing Touch ID data, but rather confirming that a finger is authenticated. "All I am doing is asking iOS, 'Hey, is this finger authenticated?' and I get either a 'Yes' or a 'No,'" he said.

The Touch ID functionality in AppLocker 2.2 is currently available for download on jailbroken devices via the ModMyi repo. The update is free for current AppLocker users and $0.99 for new purchasers.

Article Link: Jailbreak Tweak 'AppLocker' Locks Individual Apps With Touch ID

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
aka New Feature in iOS 8......

I remember reading a developer article on apple website before about apple saying developers don't need to add a passcode to their apps as the phone has one built in… I can't see apple doing this if they haven't done so already…

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Why is the calculator app locked in the video? Is it his secret naughty number stash? Does he type in "34 + 35" and giggle to himself? Because I certainly don't… nope…

Last edited:

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
The security implications of the Touch ID-supported AppLocker tweak are unknown, as Apple has said that all Touch ID data (in the form of a mathematical representation of a fingerprint) is stored in a "Secure Enclave" inside the A7 processor that is walled off from the rest of iOS and unavailable to iOS or other apps.

According to the developer of the tweak, who spoke to Cult of Mac, AppLocker is not accessing Touch ID data, but rather confirming that a finger is authenticated. "All I am doing is asking iOS, 'Hey, is this finger authenticated?' and I get either a 'Yes' or a 'No,'" he said.

I wouldn't imagine it would be much different than hashes of salted passwords, really. However...

Touch ID data ... is walled off from the rest of iOS and unavailable to iOS or other apps.

I don't know exactly how much of this would change on a jailbroken device (probably not a whole lot). That being said, I'm not sure what exactly would do with fingerprint data obtained remotely, anyways.

I wonder how easy the lock would be to bypass. I mean, unless they are encrypting all of the apps and app data somehow using [fingerprint data/hashes/etc.] or something more...indirect, I would imagine they would be technically just as accessible to the system.

Good to see that someone is thinking about individual app security.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
I want banks to have the ability (an API) to use Touch ID to access bank accounts quicker on my phone. I am looking at you Chase app!

RiddlaBronc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2013
Mcallen Tx
This is what i have been waiting for. Hopefully we wont need a jailbreak to get access to this feature.

Maybe apple will implement it in an update?

V.K.

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2007
Toronto, Canada
I remember reading a developer article on apple website before about apple saying developers don't need to add a passcode to their apps as the phone has one built in… I can't see apple doing this if they haven't done so already…

this might not be terribly useful on a phone but an ipad is a very different story. Before ipad air came out I was sure it would have touch id and it would be used as some kind of multi-user authentication tool along the lines of this jailbreak app. I still expect it to happen in ios 8 and the next ipad.

woodynorman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
Anyone know if this can be used for apps, but not for the lock screen? I don't enable it now because my hands are always wet or dirty while working, but I would like it if my apps are protected.

Wait, does this work with stock apple apps like mail and messages, and especially notes? Those are the ones I'd like to protect with my fingerprint.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
If you have kids, friends or pets using your phone.

Pets using my phone:confused: Lol

----------

Anyone know if this can be used for apps, but not for the lock screen? I don't enable it now because my hands are always wet or dirty while working, but I would like it if my apps are protected.

Wait, does this work with stock apple apps like mail and messages, and especially notes? Those are the ones I'd like to protect with my fingerprint.

Hope so that would be the only thing giving it purpose.

wikiverse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
this might not be terribly useful on a phone but an ipad is a very different story. Before ipad air came out I was sure it would have touch id and it would be used as some kind of multi-user authentication tool along the lines of this jailbreak app. I still expect it to happen in ios 8 and the next ipad.

Multi user iPad? Put down the crack pipe.

Apple don't want to sell you one iPad for many users, they want you to buy one iPad each.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
Multi user iPad? Put down the crack pipe.

Apple don't want to sell you one iPad for many users, they want you to buy one iPad each.
Would you or anyone happen to know why mine won't install. Keeps saying in red font error 404

pocketdoc

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2008
Opening Applocker in Cydia on my 5S running 7-1b2, it shows 2.2 and updated for the 5S, but it also has the banner "not compatible with this OS" and therefore will not allow install.

???

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
This is really cool. Too bad it didn't save my 14-year-Apple-only household from going Android.

Family of 6. Nobody wants to go back to iOS after using Android. Nobody.

All because Apple refuses to:

Implement multi-user accounts
Release a bigger-screen iPhone
Let users revert out of iOS 7
Allow more customization options

I was planning on jailbreaking; no need now.

Even the wife gave up her iPad/iPhone combo for a Note 3, and is happier than I ever thought she could be. She used to be fused to the iPad. All. The. Time. Funny thing is that I'm the family IT guy and she came to me wanting the Note 3.

From my perspective, this could be a troubling sign for Apple and should be addressed by them.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
Would you or anyone happen to know why mine won't install. Keeps saying in red font error 404

Unless I missed my mark, 404 almost always means "not found".

This could potentially mean: Bad link, removed for some reason, specific problems on your own network/phone, glitches on their side, clogged pipes, etc.

I can't test it myself (no jailbroken phone) so I can't verify anything for you. In absence of a specific reason that I could fix on my own, I'd just wait an hour or a day and try again later.

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A
This is really cool. Too bad it didn't save my 14-year-Apple-only household from going Android.

Family of 6. Nobody wants to go back to iOS after using Android. Nobody.

All because Apple refuses to:

Implement multi-user accounts
Release a bigger-screen iPhone
Let users revert out of iOS 7
Allow more customization options

I was planning on jailbreaking; no need now.

Even the wife gave up her iPad/iPhone combo for a Note 3, and is happier than I ever thought she could be. She used to be fused to the iPad. All. The. Time. Funny thing is that I'm the family IT guy and she came to me wanting the Note 3.

From my perspective, this could be a troubling sign for Apple and should be addressed by them.

Don't know about you, but my whole family did the exact opposite. They were on android, and couldn't stand it. Nothing ever worked right. They love their iDevices cause they just work. And they can still customize it cause I jailbreak them for them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.