Jailbreak...uh...noob question lol

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Flames92, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Flames92 macrumors newbie

Yea, I'm getting my new ipod touch 2g in a couple of weeks and have been kind of researching it and I've noticed a lot of people talking about having their ipod touches "jailbroken"? When exactly makes your ipod so special if its jailbroken lol...Yea...I know dumb question but seriously NO ONE SAYS WHAT IT DOES EXACTLY....or I'm just blind:cool::p So yea can you help me out xD

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Google does.

3. gusto5 macrumors member

Jailbreaking an ipod essentially allows you to run unsigned code on the ipod touch (code that is not "authorized" by apple, sotospeak). This was significant before apple's app store was up, but while apps store does have its availability, sometimes users will find what they need outside, from jailbroken sources.

http://ripdev.org/

there's the developer blog for Installer, the application that installs apps outside of apple's app store. Another one is called Cydia, and essentially they acess open source repositories (much like linux distributions do) and allow you the options of installation.

In your case, 2G ipod touch jailbreak is unavailable at the time of this post.

Here is a rather more in-depth compare and contrast between how two different developer(s) did a jailbreak, but very technical

4. Flames92 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea, I've seen they have yet to get the 2g jailbroken...lol anyways right after I posted this I found out what it was >.< THANKS though =] Heh you still helped me :D