Jailbreak/Unlock 2g iPhone Question

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by BUbro90, Jul 1, 2009.

1. BUbro90 macrumors newbie

Ok so I've perused some of the threads on here about how to go about jailbreaking and unlocking the 2g iPhone running 3.0, but I'm still confused. Here's my situation:

I bought a 3G S recently, so my 2g iPhone is pretty much obsolete now. Can I still jailbreak/unlock my 2g if it isn't currently activated? I'm going to sell it so how do I completely and safely wipe my data from the phone? Should my SIM card come out before the restore? And does my sim stay in during the jailbreak/unlock? So confused....any help would be great. Thanks a lot guys!

2. ucbearcats macrumors member

Yes, http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/126908912/redsn0w-in-june

Settings>General>Reset>Erase all content and setting (can take upto 2 hours)

Doesn't matter but if your not going to use it you can just keep your SIM out while jailbreaking/unlocking

3. bayourock macrumors member

i was thinking about giving my 2G to my girlfriend, but i dont want to have a data plan on that line. When i put her sim in the phone though, it makes me activate the phone and makes me have to choose a data plan.

I read a bunch of other threads stating to go through the activation and then call the next day to cancel it..... But should i do that or should i unlock/jailbreak it instead?????

4. FuriousD macrumors member

unlock and jailbrake, it will be easier. Use Redsnow to unlock and jailbrake, it will also activate it. Very simple to use.
    D