jailbreak/update question

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ksize22, Dec 7, 2009.

1. ksize22 macrumors newbie

So, I have T-mobile and want an iphone and know someone who can jailbreak them
    but i dont have itunes( i know its free but my mom doesnt want crap on the computer )
    how exactly does the iphone work with itunes and do i have to update it?
    also if i can use it w/o itunes
    what do i have to do through t-mobile in order to be able to use everything on the iphone:confused:

2. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Sounds to me like you'd be better off NOT using iTunes. It'll lessen the chances of you accidentally updating (and re-locking) your phone.

If the phone you get is post-2.0, you can use most applications from Apple's App Store. There are several popular apps that won't work unless you have 3.0+ but you can certainly work around that.

My suggestion would be to have a friend with AT&T (are you in the US?) update the phone for you, then jailbreak and unlock with Blackra1n/sn0w. No reason to be anywhere below the most current firmware.

As far as making it work on T-Mobile, just get yourself some sort of data plan and you should be set.

3. ksize22 thread starter macrumors newbie

so basically, I don't have to have a computer to use the iphone even.
    I have friends with at&t, but how would they go about updating it?!
    thanks again

4. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

Well, managing ringtones, music (ie using it also as an iPod), videos, photos etc on the phone is done through iTunes. To many people that's quite important.

If they don't matter to you then fine, but if they do you'll have to persuade your mum that you need iTunes. Which may be crap but at least it's Apple crap....

5. KingHuds macrumors 6502

iTunes is not so bad in terms of crapware that you can install to your PC...you could do much much worse.