Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skinnylegs

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 8, 2006
San Diego
Some apps require that you have the latest iPhone OS software installed on your phone. If you don't, you can't dl the app. I remember seeing an app that somehow tricked the App Store into thinking you *do* have the latest software, when in fact you don't, but for the life of me, I can't find it.

Anyone?

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007
Don't know the answer to your question, but if you spoof to a higher OS then what you really have you risk the app crashing on you.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
It's a jailbreak app on Cydia called "Firmware 3.1.3". It changes a value in a .plist file (I believe) to trick apps into thinking that you're running 3.1.3.

Evernote is catching flack from some of us on their forums for requiring 3.1.3 to install their universal binary (iPhone + iPad). The installation process, if done from iTunes, wipes out the existing copy of Evernote on the device and THEN alerts you that you don't have the proper OS version. If you don't have a backup of the previous version of Evernote, you're out of luck. Evernote's response so far has been "upgrade", while other developers have proven that 3.1.3 is not necessary to create a universal binary. Dragon Dictation initially released their binary and required 3.1.3, and then the very next day, released an update that removed that restriction. That's how you respond to your customers.

skinnylegs

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 8, 2006
San Diego
Thanks, buddy. I was trying to install the apps for the iPhone and iPad that allow you to take pics on the iPhone but have them saved on the iPad.

nickrinaldi

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2009
i used the 3.13 spoof app on cydia. Works for me.
the "instapaper" apps latest update requires 3.13 and it wouldnt download and install on my iphone so after installing the spoof it loaded fine and it works fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.