Jailbreak vs iOS 5

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by groschi, Oct 15, 2011.

1. groschi macrumors newbie

I am currently on a jailbroken iPad 2 with 4.3.3 and I am thinking about upgrading to iOS5 but I am not completely sold in iOS5 already. Got it on my iPhone 4 and it works like a charm and the new features are great but I don't know if it's worth it giving up 4.3.3 with a jailbreak. Love the iCloud feature and since I use Pages a lot it would be worth updating but I also love my themes and SBSettings and other small tweaks. Anyone with the same "problem"?

2. robdam1001 macrumors 6502a

TRUST me; stick with 4.3.3 and wait for the 5.0 Untethered JB.

3. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Exactly. Best advice. No way I am upgrading to ios5 without an untethered jb. Way to many features you lose over the slim gains from ios5.

Besides, if you need cloud storage why not use dropbox or box.net? I use "Notely" and everything I put in there auto loads into the cloud.

4. kalex macrumors 65816

Good advice and thats what I'm doing. Waiting for 5.0 to be jailbroken.

One of the reason I jailbroke was to run cablevision app which in their infinite wisdom cablevision decided to limit to only wifi that is attached to your cable modem. Kind of defeats the purpose of an ipad. I want to watch it on the go not sitting in my living room. I have 50" plasma for that.

There are also few other things I use as well

5. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

I "upgraded" temporarily to iOS 5 on my iPad just to try out some of the new features and for now I have to agree that the iOS 4.3.x jailbroken iPad is much better.

The only things I kind of miss are the wi-fi sync, split keyboard and the ability to use the iPad while a sync is occurring. The new Music app is crap for the most part and the multitasking gestures don't work on the iPad 1.

iOS 4.3.3 JB > iOS 5 (at least for the immediate future)

6. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

You have have seen the fix for the Optimum update correct?

7. kalex macrumors 65816

Yep i've seen it. I was just giving my reason for keeping jailbreak

8. The Catalyst macrumors 6502

This.

9. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

I am in a similar situation except opposite devices, my phone is JB on 4.3.3 and my (future) iPad 2 is on iOS5.

10. Meikkis macrumors newbie

I upgraded my jailbreaked iPad 2 to iOS 5. I mostly miss Retinapad. Other that that I think that iOS 5 in fantastic, Safari is so much more usable with tabs now and the speed is amazing. It is almost as browsing internet with a real computer now, everything loads immediately. Tabs seem to be reloading much more rarely with iOS 5 too.