jailbreak, winterboard battery drain?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ajohnson253, May 3, 2010.

1. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

So a couple months ago I was having a problem with some serious drainage from my battery while I was jailbroken. Most likely it was because I had the backgrounder and kirake installed. Well since the spirit jailbreak I have only been using themes from winterboard and fonts from fontswap. It seems my battery is perfectly normal, someone told me a couple months ago that winterboard was the cause of my battery draining. If this is true then how come my battery life has been good?

I just really want to find out what is the main cause of fast battery drain when jailbroken so I know what not to download onto my phone so I don't have to deal with the hassle.

Thanks in advance

2. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

I saw lots of spooky stories about how mywi will drain your batteries even when it's not active, and so far I haven't found it to be the case. (when it's on it's very noticeable.) Can't see how winterboard would possibly do so, isn't it just replacement images, essentially?

3. ajohnson253 thread starter macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

I'm not sure, I hear some people say it effects battery life some say it doesn't I'm still looking for an answer.

4. mustnotsleep macrumors 6502

backgrounding uses up a ton of battery life. i dont see why winterboard would, its not like its constantly running, it just edits wallpaper, themes etc.

5. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Agreed.

6. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

Heres my opinion:
    If you turn everything off in winterboard, you notice a better performance.
    I think that by using themes u add another layer for your phone to go through when your doing stuff, so you basically loose a little bit of the snappyness of your phone.
    I would THINK a sluggish phone is taking up more battery, but hey thats me. I still use it :D

I will eventually probably just get better at SSH, uninstall winterboard and start changing things myself

7. stockscalper macrumors 6502a

stockscalper

I notice no difference in performance on my 3 GS, but have noticed a decline in battery life. I've got the weather updating on my lockscreen periodically and that uses the battery. PLus I think Backgrounder uses some juice too.

8. ajohnson253 thread starter macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

I just also downloaded lockinfo and weather icon but I had to delete it because I knew it would kill battery. For some reason to me, it felt like it was crowding the lock screen & what not. Just didn't like how crowded it was and didn't want to kill any battery.

I have noticed a slight decrease in snappiness on my phone. What is all this ssh people are talking about how does this work?

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Where did you hear Weather Icon would kill the battery? You change the update times. Mine is every 2 hours. I think it defaults to every minute, which might kill the battery.

SSH (Secure Shell) is thhe way you mess with the files in your iPhone through Terminal (Mobile Terminal on your phone).

Get Cyber Duck for your Mac and then you can SFTP into your iPhone.

10. ajohnson253 thread starter macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

Okay I didn't know the times could be adjusted I didn't dig that deep into it. I'm good with just going to my accuweather app.

11. BacklitFirefly macrumors 6502

The only reason I jailbreaked is for mywi. It does munch battery power when in use, but when i have it off, it doesn't affect it at all.

The only other app I have is Winterboard, and it does not affect my battery.