Jailbreak without Cydia

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by spookify13, Oct 3, 2010.

1. spookify13 macrumors newbie

spookify13

Hello, I have an iPhone 3GS running 4.0.1 which is currently not Jailbroken. In the past when I have had my phone Jailbroken I have found Cydia to be far too bloated for my liking.

I was just wondering if it's possible to jailbreak without cydia but have SSH enabled by default, that way I can install things manually. In the past I tried creating a custom .ipsw which didn't include Cydia in order to try and access my phone using iphone explorer however that did not work as I still could not access the main filesystem.

I know that Cydia is the best installer around it's just i'm slightly OCD about things being neat and tidy.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

2. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I know you can jailbreak without Cydia, but then you would have no way to install most jailbroken software and other packages. This is because Installer, Icy, and Rock are all dead or defunct.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No other jb packages installer out there but Cydia.
    You can jb and delete it after but doing everything manually will be 100 times harder and in most cases you will need cydia to install, remove or update stuff.

5. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

This, but make sure you install OpenSSH before you delete Cydia.

6. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

I'm going to advise against that. OCD is one thing, but making things 10 times harder for yourself is just dumb, IMO.

7. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

8. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Is this is really the "ONLY" reason you want to get rid of it, believe me you NEED cydia, managing and keeping up with packages updates manually and doing the checking and cleaning that Cydia do manually is going to make your file system a "BIG MESS", with logs, dependencies, no way to now what is installed and running. So believe me Cydia keep everything better, clean and neat. Doing yourself is going to drive you completely insane

9. labman macrumors 604

labman

if you do delete it then one day you will ask how do you get it back trust me!

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree.
    See a therapist. It is a treatable condition:)