Jailbreak = Worse Battery

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Rufuss Sewell, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Rufuss Sewell macrumors 6502

I bought the 4S in late December and stock the battery seemed fine.

Then shortly thereafter the original Absinthe was released so I jailbroke... and the battery went to hell. Draining 10% each time I'd look at it. I constantly had to charge.

Then one day in April it wouldn't turn on at all. I tried everything but it was dead. Luckily Apple replaced it no question asked... with 5.1 of course.

No jailbreak, but the battery was amazing! Lasted all day on a charge. I figured it was an improvement with 5.1 since it was touted as having better battery performance.

Now I've been jailbroken for about a week with Absinthe 2 and the battery is crap again. Maybe it's a specific app that's killing the battery. My3g? Activator? Barrel? Springtomize 2?

Is there a battery app that shows what is using what?

Anyone else experiencing this?

2. whiskeyvol macrumors regular

i've got a jailbroken 4s on ios 5.1.1, and it's giving me the best life i've ever had on the 4s. it's close to what i was getting on my old iphone 4.

i don't have many packages installed - bitesms, lockinfo, springtomize 2, gv extensions (phone & sms), but that's about it

it's been said many times before - the act of jailbreaking has nearly zero impact on battery life. are you running winterboard or any kind of widgets?

3. SurferMan macrumors 65816

Nope, ours is jailbroken too and see no real difference in battery life. What are all the apps you installed? Something is causing that glitch as jailbreak in itself won't make a difference. I don't have the phone off hand as it's the womans, but I know I have activator, barrel, bitesms, folder enhancer and bunch of others.

4. labman macrumors 604

labman

Closest app to what you want is battery detective in Cydia it's a paid app. Battery life for me has always been fine.

5. Rufuss Sewell thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I figured it wasn't the jailbreak it's self. Maybe an app or tweak though.

I have and use:

My3g
    Springtomize 2 (lots of gui tweaks)
    Barrel (carousel mode)
    SBSettings in notification center
    Activator (springflash and camera app)
    DisplayOut
    KillBackground

I also have but don't use often:

MyWi 5
    Nes and Snes emus
    Pandora Skips

No winterboard or widgets. I've been jailbroken since late 2007 and haven't experienced this til this year.

6. SurferMan macrumors 65816

Ones in red I don't have, but have a lot of others installed including winterboard. No battery issues here as far as reduced life.

You could try deleting and reinstalling one by one too see if you end up noticing any difference, even if that means 1 a day... I know pain in the ass, but it may help.... Haven't messed with cydia in awhile so not sure if there's anything like this, but on my GSII I have "badass battery" and it's cool b/c you can go into any category or even layout of every app and it organizes and tells you what X app is using as far as power %, I haven't had a problem but it's helped people figure out what rogue app is causing issues. Don't know if Cydia has something like that.