Jailbreak worth it?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Mftech03, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Mftech03 macrumors newbie

hello everyone!
    I have been using iPhone for about 3-4 years now, currently on the iPhone 6.

I have been reading a lot about jail breaking recently. There are some nice tweaks that can come along with it.

But I'm not too sure of the downsides?
    Is jail breaking something you would recommend to your casual phone person?

2. cyber16 macrumors 6502

?
    So you jail break it now, try a few tweaks you may like OR try none now.
    If you don't like anything about the sense of jailbreaking later, you just go back to stock
    You can return to stock anytime.

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

The casual person?

No.

Someone who has a bit of tech knowledge, is willing to troubleshoot/research their own problems and has a modicum of common sense/patience - yes.

But the 'casual person' in reference to the iPhone user has none of this. No offense to you or anyone else, but the typical iPhone user isn't used to thinking about their device beyond how they want their springboard icons laid out.

4. bbrks macrumors 65816

bbrks

jailbreak is a best thing ever that happened to iPhone :)

5. furbzv1 macrumors 6502a

furbzv1

what are you looking to do? one of the reasons why i wanted to JB is to remove the background on the dock.
    that was the first thing i did. Im still messing with some tweaks but so far im glad i did it

6. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

AMEN.

Is jailbreaking "worth it": YES.
    Would I recommend it?: Only to those described in the highlighted bit above.

To put it another way, I have at least 40 friends who have iPhones. I am currently the only one who jailbreaks, and have for five years. The few who did previously, including the one who introduced me to it, all got tired of the minor (to me) hassles that come with jailbreaking. For me, the benefits outweigh the nuisance factor most of the time...though restoring two devices to 8.3 yesterday did pretty much suck, so I wasn't very enthusiastic about the idea 24 hours ago. :D

My test questions: If the phone you rely on daily goes into a kernel panic, do you know what to do? Do you even know how to recognize that? If it happened, would you completely freak out or would you just be annoyed knowing you had a problem to triage?

If your answers are yes, yes, and annoyed, then you can learn anything you need to know about jailbreaking and are a possible candidate to try it out (assuming you also like to do a certain amount of tinkering with tech and back your critical data up in multiple ways so you can't lose it). If by "kernel" you think I'm talking about popcorn or you panic at the thought of using command prompts, don't bother.

7. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Double post. This new forum setup drives me nuts! Maybe *I'm* not tech enough to jailbreak either! LOL

8. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

Wish more posters here would admit this. Way too many posts asking for help when it's pretty obvious they are way over their head when they run into trouble. When a little reading before attempting jailbreaking is all that is required so one doesn't need handholding to fix their issues.

9. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

As a person with a natural bent towards tech and a stronger bent towards research, that drives me up a wall. A five minute search of the forum or Google will provide answers faster than a post here will, almost every time.

For newcomers to the scene: If a search doesn't give you results, or if you found answers but don't understand them, know the basics before you post:
    --We need your device model and firmware before we can help with anything. Seriously. This should be the first thing in any post for help.
    --Tell us that you searched so we know you at least tried to figure it out (and so we don't waste time searching the basic stuff for you).
    --Describe the exact circumstances. (Clearly, and without hysteria, please--a meltdown won't fix it. Neither will bumping your post every five minutes.)
    --Does the device have power? What happens if you plug it into iTunes?
    --What did you last install and when (including updates!)?
    --Provide a tweak list so others can look for known conflicts or problem tweaks (which, BTW, are mostly avoidable--search before you install!)
    --What have you tried so far? (And did you try a different port/cable/computer? Respring/reboot? etc.)
    --Can you replicate the problem? Give us the steps so we can try it ourselves.

If you're not willing to run through this sort of simple triage on your own, you probably shouldn't jailbreak. Something WILL go wrong at some point (because, hello, it's a computer!). Apple's not exactly going to fix it for you, and it may happen at a time when most of the forum is offline. You need to know where to look for answers on your own, and how to do the basic things that solve most problems.

The first time I read up on bootloops--five years ago and BEFORE I jailbroke my first phone--I knew 95% of people fell into the "Don't try this at home" category, because they'd lose their minds if the phone started doing that. And sure enough, judging by five years of posts on it (both jailbroken and stock), that's pretty much what happens.

Almost anyone *can* do this with a bit of study, and with a continued willingness to learn (because things change with firmware revisions). We're always happy to have more people like that here! But we can't handhold every noob who comes along with the same questions that have been asked literally 1000 times, just because everyone's apparently too lazy to use the Search tool nowadays.

/rant

Again: it's well worth the effort in my opinion, because via jailbreak, you can make your phone a far more useful device, customized to the way you want it, not the way Apple thinks you should have it. But it's not for everyone.

10. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Exactly this.

11. placidity44 macrumors 6502

placidity44

I personally feel that if someone has to ask than no...

12. Will22 macrumors 65816

Will22

I done my first jailbreak last week. I spent one night reading here and other places plus looked at several videos over a few times. The only problem I had was my version of iTunes was too new but because I had read up on everything I knew I would probably need to downgrade iTunes.

I had upgraded to 8.4 through iTunes so the hole process took me 45 minutes because I took my time. The bit that takes the time it all the mods you can do afterwards.