Jailbreak

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by annsummers, Jul 20, 2011.

1. annsummers macrumors newbie

So jailbreaking will not harm your iphone? I don't want to jailbreak my iPhone4 because I'm afraid that it might damage my phone.

2. Mitchelino macrumors 6502

If you have no idea what you're doing, sometimes it's best not to do it. I have heard of cases where people have run into issues (like bricking their iPhone). But some people have no problems.

3. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Jailbreaking would not be as popular as it is if it were simply a way to damage your phone. :rolleyes:

Maybe you should do a little more research before you take the plunge.

What firmware are you on? If you're on the new 4.3.4 I would stay away because the JB is tethered and a newbie doesn't want to mess with that. However, if you're on 4.3.3 or below, you can enjoy a jailbreak untethered. :)

The best part is, if you don't like the JB, you can get rid of it by restoring with iTunes.

4. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Don't jailbreak until you've done research on it, PLEEEAAASSSSEE?

You'll be back her in a half hour asking us what you did wrong and thinking you bricked your phone.

It's just best that beginners at it make sure that they positively know what they are doing before they do it.

5. annsummers thread starter macrumors newbie

6. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Lurk the iPhone Hacks section here and also check out some tutorials on iClarified.

7. steveiphone macrumors newbie

steveiphone

Jailbreak iPhone

If there is a question, why do you need to jailbreak your iPhone 4? This question may lead you to the complicated jailbreaking software tools offering the quickest and fastest how to enjoy the applications on your iphone in a minute only. Here, i will show the important things on jailbreaking.� We have already known that iphone only applies one network which is At & t or verizon to be used. The applications which will be used are also selected, so that one cannot fully enjoy the best feature and potential of this particular smart phone. Jailbreaking is giving access to IPhone users in order to open some applications which are not allowed by Apple company on its perfect creation. By jailbreaking your iphone 4, sure you will get some benefits.

8. annsummers thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

9. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

I have absolutely no idea what you're saying in the first half of your post. The iPhone is available on many carriers around the world and not just ATT/Verizon. I am in Canada on the Telus network.

10. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Actually you should have said there are other countries in the world too.. Lol

Anyways to op. There is no way to harm ur iPhone. Also ppl talking about a brick. It's impossible to brick an iPhone technically. Restore is always the solution.

11. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Personally I dont opt to jailbreak as currently my iphone 4 does everything I want and more.

I have done my homework on jail breaking and am confident I could jailbreak my handset, and know of remedies if something glitched.

Some say apple just should allow the user open access.

Well here's a word of caution to those posters.

Nokia did try this type of open source phone with the Nokia n900.
    The owner had three repositories to download programmers from.

One safe and tested.
    One with stable'ish.
    One for developers.

Well you can imagine what the maemo.org forums community boards were littered with............. yup....... 'help me'....... threads.

Its down to choice and thats the beauty of these forums when something goes wrong or you need advice............some experienced forum members with a wealth of knowledge and patience !

12. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

There should have at least been a developer program in place so that newbies couldn't ruin their phones by accident. Not necessarily a paid dev program like Apple but something where you at least have to go through the trouble of registering to access the dev content.

13. troy14 macrumors 6502a

It is literally impossible to break/brick your iPhone when attempting to jailbreak. There is always a way to restore it.