General Jailbreak

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ncvikingx97, Sep 5, 2012.

1. ncvikingx97 macrumors member

I would like to point out that I have done some jaulbreaking things before. The only questions I have for my phone are; if I restore and send it back, who repairs it. If I restore and then send it back to get a replacement, what happens if I get a replacement and then they realize it was jail broken. Jail breaking is completely legal right? Thanks

2. lazard macrumors 68000

factory restore = no evidence of JB.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Jailbreaking is legal in the US, but Apple can still deny a warranty replacement because it voids the warranty. They just can't sue you for jailbreaking anymore/yet.

4. ncvikingx97 thread starter macrumors member

Okay cool. So it isn't illegal if you send it back knowing it was jailbroken

5. ncvikingx97 thread starter macrumors member

One hundred percent, they can not tell? What about verizon

6. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

as long as its on none jailbroken firmware you are good buddy. doesnt matter whos looking at it

7. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

They only way I have seen that they can tell (besides when people stupidly leave it jailbroken)...

is when people modified the baseband to unlock the phone... like with the iPhone 3G.

ADDITIONAL: In this case though, iTunes won't even let you restore it, citing Error/Code 1015 or something

8. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

...which they never had any intention of doing in the first place.

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

We don't know that. For all we know, Apple could be making a list of all jailbroken devices and is planning to mass sue all jailbreakers. Are they? Unlikely, but they could be.

10. speed4tu macrumors member

Well we know they are sue happy now. haha

11. ncvikingx97 thread starter macrumors member

12. mopatops macrumors regular

mopatops

People say that jailbreaking leaves no trace on a restored iPhone but what I don't understand is that restoring my jailbroken phone and then re-jailbrekaing keeps all my tweak settings when I download them again.

If restoring leaves no trace then surely settings for tweaks would go back to default when I installed them again?

13. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

This is because you restored your iPhone from a backup in iTunes or iCloud. If you set it up as a new iPhone, the jailbreak is completely gone and Apple has no way of detecting it (as far as we know).

14. mopatops macrumors regular

mopatops

Ah, I assumed that iTunes/iCloud didn't back up anything to do with the jailbreak and so assumed there was a portion of storage that wasn't wiped in the restore process.

What you said makes sense when you think about it! :rolleyes:

15. ncvikingx97 thread starter macrumors member

16. BuckeyeMac macrumors 6502

It's not illegal, therefore they can't sue anyone about it

17. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It was at one point and technically it will be soon. In 2009 the DMCA committee in the US asked for exemptions to the DMCA copyright laws. Jailbreaking and hacking of mobile phones was one of those proposed. The resolution was supposed to be announced in October of 2009, but was held back to July of 2010. The exemption law is for three years and every year it must be submitted again and reviewed again. Before 2009, it was illegal because it was not exempted during the 2006 exemption window. If it is not submitted in the 2013 window or is rejected, it will become illegal again. The wording used in the official exemption states that "mobile telephones" can be hacked into and have their firmware flashed to non-stock firmware. Because of this wording, only the iPhone is legally jailbreakable within the United States. If Apple was to sue a person for jailbreaking an iPod Touch, an Apple TV 2/3, or an iPad, they'd likely win because of that wording.

Other examples of exceptions to the DMCA laws include but are not limited to, decryption a video DVD's CSS encryption and unlocking a carrier locked phone without the carrier's approval. I believe hacking of game consoles was one of the proposed exemptions for 2009, but it was rejected.

[​IMG]

18. nicknicknickh macrumors regular

I believe that they allow it but dont condone it, it may also void your warranty so factory reset your phone before you send it in.

19. Maverik3 macrumors 6502

They can't just mass sue people... if it's not illegal at the time the (crime/offense/act) was committed there is no crime. For example if there was a speed limit in your neighborhood and it was 35mph and then it just got changed to 25 they can't write tickets to all the people that drove through going 35 when that was the limit.

20. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Wow, I would get sued a whole bunch ! :cool:

21. labman macrumors 604

labman

Me too it would also turn me into a huge Samsung fan over night!

22. kaielement macrumors 65816

LOL..... If that were to happen windows phone here I come (hint of sarcasm)

23. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

And for all we know Apple is going to release a 2 inch phone next week phone next week...but that's also not happening. But I guess it's the internet, anyone can make a statement no matter how unfounded or ridiculous it is with absolutely no basis at all.

24. Siggen macrumors 6502

It is possible for apple to device a method to tell if it has been jailbroken. To any none carrier or apple personnel, to me or anyone I've ever discussed this with no person know of anyone who has seen such a method been used to check for jailbreak. And I've seen lots of people remove jailbreak and send in and it got trough warranty.

However if such a method is ever put into use, it will soon be public knowledge, and we will probably have tools to remove it.

In layman's terms restoring formats the NAND removing all data, though this is just almost true.

The most important thing to know, is that a restore will wipe the device enough so they wont see it ;)

25. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

My opinion is Apple really doesn't care as much as some here seem to think.

After all, there are infinite reports of n00bs having taken still jailbroken devices to the Apple Store and their being replaced.

I personally had an Apple genius work on my iPhone4 connector port with some specialized tools they have at the Apple Store, he never said a word about my very obviously jailbroken iDevice.