Jailbreakers: How often do you backup your iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by iPhone1, Nov 12, 2010.

?

How often do you backup your iPad?

1. Once a week.

60.0%
  2. Once a month.

20.0%
  3. Once every few months.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Never.

20.0%
  1. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

Just curious to see how many of you avoid backups with iTunes or if you treat your jailbroken iPad like you would a stock iPad. It has been months since my iPad has seen a sync cord. I have a day 1 3G iPad running iOS 3.2.1, jailbroken first with Spirit then jailbreakme.com .

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Mine syncs/backs up nightly automatically over WiFi.

3. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

I backup the same just as if it were a non jailbroken iPad. (i.e.. Almost daily.)

4. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

What no one has done is lay out a sticky of how to sync your iPad and it not uninstall your jailbroken apps.

A sticky of this would clean up these posts.

5. aleni macrumors 68020

if you are jailbroken, then the new firmware update is out, do you restore from backup? is it not gonna mess things up??

6. Sherifftruman macrumors 6502

I have never had an app uninstalled on my iPhone in a year of being JB, why would the iPad be different?

7. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

I backup through iTunes...well, virtually never. That's no different at all from pre jailbreak, iPhone and iPad. I hate iTunes, it routinely eats music and videos I've purchased and leaves no trace of them on my hard drive, sometimes even off the device itself. It's ugly, kludgy feeling, and poorly laid out. And Apple's idea of "sync" too often means "erase device content and replace" with what's on the computer. Ugh.

I use a variety of other backup methods and they get done at different rates. Apps like Notebooks for iPad are backed up onto my hard drive using SyncDocs, which is a tool they've incorporated into the app for wifi (manual) sync. Notebooks and a couple of others are also routinely backed up onto MobileMe iDisk, again through built in app functions (a lot of apps will do this with Dropbox if you prefer). MobileMe also handles my Calendar and Contacts sync, over the air and automatically, so both devices always have the same data. So all the really critical data is backed up regularly. And unlike with iTunes, if a backup is corrupted, I can see that immediately, instead of when I'm trying to retrieve something in an emergency.

Everything else is backed up to the Mac using a program called Phone View. It's easily the best money I've spent in years. It will even allow me to export SMS and voicemail from the phone (which iTunes won't do), photos, music, or anything any app has saved with File Sharing--without using iTunes. Using this and the other methods means I can restore a device as new if I have to (the cleanest way if you're jailbreaking), and still be able to reload the content fairly easily.

Once in a while, I plug in and "transfer purchases", but again, only after those have already been copied to the drive with Phone View.

8. mikelcroft macrumors regular

9. Cloysterpeteuk macrumors member

I don't do backups on my PC so I can't see the point in backing up my ipad. Plus itunes run slow as hell on my PC.

10. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

I backup as often as I sync, I rarely cancel before it's done syncing, it depends on when I download a new stupid issue of Wired and have 10+ hours to burn waiting for it to backup.

11. xraytech macrumors 68020

I back-up everyday

I backup everyday.

The more you backup, the less time it takes to backup. On top of that, I almost never buy apps via the Mobile Apps Store, that too shortens backup time.

12. Jkazmeyer macrumors regular

I back all my idevices up all the time. It doesn't take long if you do it frequently. I have never had an issue with losing any content, using 2 iPhone 4's, and an iPad, all with different content on them, but the same iTunes account. My iPad is jailbroken with greenpois0n on 3.2.

13. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

If I depended on my ipad like my iphone, I'd sync everyday. However, since I mainly use it as a reader, it only needs a weekly sync. Proper backups are about once a month.