jailbreaking 3g iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by off in the wood, Aug 3, 2008.

1. off in the wood macrumors regular

If you jailbreak the 3g iphone, you can kiss the 1 year warranty goodbye correct?

what if you buy apple care for it before you jailbreak it? does that matter?

aside from the mentioned cons (i think) above, are there any other cons that result in jailbreaking it?

what are the pros?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Only if they catch you. If you buy AppleCare and they catch you, you wasted that money.

3. off in the wood thread starter macrumors regular

how wouldn't they catch you? I mean if I would buy the applecare and then jailbreak it, and then something bad happens to the phone, like the speakers not working anymore and I have to send it to them.....they would see

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Yep. That's how they'd catch you. If you take it in and it's still jailbroken, they'll refuse service.

5. 61132 Guest

Well, the smart thing would be to restore your phone through iTunes with the official firmware before you send it in.

I would restore anyways to get your personal info off of the phone.

6. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

you have about a .05% chance of having something go wrong with your phone that would prevent you from restoring back to stock.

jailbreaking only effects the software. its practically impossible to do permanent damage.

unlocking flashes that baseband so there is a bit more of a potential for damage, but its still pretty small.

don't worry about jailbreaking. once you restore there is no possible way for Apple to tell you've opened up access to the file system.

7. off in the wood thread starter macrumors regular

ok, good point I didn't think of that.

so, I've been doing a little research on the pros of jailbreaking, and the biggest reason seems to be 3rd party apps, but with the app store now available, is that still the biggest pro in jailbreaking

8. NiroshanMan macrumors 6502

There is really no way they can know you jailbroke unless you left it jailbroken, just restore it before you send it in and its fine. Jailbreaking doesn't do anything permanent or physical, so nothing really bad at all can happen. You are just messing with the software not the hardware. If you unlock it though, there are some ways they can know you did by different basebands, but thats with the Original iPhone, the 3G through pwnage supports only jailbreaking. You are good to go.

9. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

the most compelling reason for me is tethering.

i didn't have much luck with pwnage today, though. i ended up getting stuck in the pwnapple screen loop. had to put it into DFU and just restored to stock. it was very unstable when it was working.

the biggest con for me is that the time spent restoring and re-syncing (which is inevitably going to happen when your jailbroken) takes A LOT of time.

10. off in the wood thread starter macrumors regular

so your saying if I jailbreak my 3g iphone I can tether it with my mba?......NICE

thats good enough for me.

thanks a lot

one more question.....so how are the speeds when tethering?

before I bought the 3g iphone, I had a samsung sch i-760 w/verizon and absolutely loved the tethering speeds with it and my mba

11. 61132 Guest

Reason for jailbreaking for me. Tether. Also there are a lot of applications and modifications for your phone that are not available in the store. Jailbroken with the app store, best of both worlds.

12. NiroshanMan macrumors 6502

very true, right now im testing different restore files cause i can't seem to get the right one with everything i need cause pwnage is messing up! first time i tried it i wanted no custom logos and it worked fine but i got no service once it was restore. second i tried it non-expert mode, but with custom logos and it worked fine, but now i want it without custom logos so it looks normal, and it worked but now my mail keeps crashing and iTunes says it can't sync with it!

13. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

are you using simple or expert mode?

i've heard people have better results with expert.

i'm done for now though, i can't handle all the restores. maybe in a couple of days. i keep checking the AppStore to see if NetShare is back. :rolleyes:

14. NiroshanMan macrumors 6502

PM message me about NetShare cause i know how you can get it still!
    Also Jason Bay is badass, red sox don't need manny!

coming from amherst, ma