Jailbreaking a 3GS iOS4

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by gray19lfc, Jul 5, 2010.

1. gray19lfc macrumors newbie

I have a 3GS, running iOS4. It has never been 'jailbroken' before.

My model number is MC131B.

I have iTunes 9.2.

I have a MacBook Pro.

Can I jailbreak my iPhone?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

3. gray19lfc thread starter macrumors newbie

OK. Why is that? No problem with it, just trying to understand 'jailbreaking'.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Currently u can only jb 3GS models that were previously jb on 3.1.3 and below with early bootrom only and that were not updated to official 4.0. Rumors are we will see a new userland jb released soon for all iPhone models on 4.0 firmware.

5. Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

If we could get the stock 3.1.3 or earlier firmware installed on your phone it would be possible... Unfortunately, there's no way of doing that currently.

In order to install 3.1.3 you need to have the SHSH blobs for that FW saved via Cydia. Basically, after a certain point Apple's servers stop authenticating old firmware. Saurik has a workaround where you trick iTunes into checking with his server instead of Apple's, but in order for this trick to work, your phone had to have been jailbroken on that version firmware and saved the "SHSH blobs" (specific to your phone) to his server using Cydia. Since your phone has never been jailbroken, those SHSH blobs were never saved for 3.1.3, meaning that iTunes won't let you restore to that firmware no matter what.

Major bummer... But hey, just because a few people tell you it can't be done, keep looking. ;) I had a situation that I thought was hopeless until just recently.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yeah ok. Keep looking:rolleyes:
    No matter where he looks it's not possible right now with his situation.
    Unless he wants to waste his time he can keep on searching and maybe come across those scam sites that provide jb and unlocks for a fee...

7. Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

Agreed it's not possible at this very moment, but we only know that because we've been keeping up with the news on a daily basis. Just sayin', what isn't possible today could very well be possible tomorrow or an hour from now the way that community works. Just today there was news of a tethered iOS4.0 JB for the newer 3GS bootrom. New stuff everyday.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly.
    Not possible right now.
    Maybe in a few days or few weeks yes. Noone knows.
    You just gotta keep an eye on the Dev teams blog or also in this section there should be plenty of threads.

9. whyrichard macrumors 68000

where was this news?

r.