Jailbreaking a iPhone 3G

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by bristolrovers, Oct 27, 2011.

1. bristolrovers macrumors newbie

I bought an iPhone 3G the other day from some guy I know.

I was quite happy with the phone, it has his sim card in there. His number is showing up, and there is full signal and 3G Coverage. Whenever I try to make a call it says call failed, cant send texts. basically none of the phone works when it comes to sending texts/emails/internet/calls

I've come to the conclusion it is blocked. If I jailbreak it will that unblock it? I paid a fair ammount for it, And I know its wrong to unblock it IF it was stolen. But he's not only cheated the person he stole it from, but also me!

I heard jailbreaking would unblock it..

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

you need your own sim card

why would you expect his to work other than allowing you to activate the phone? There is no way you will just get free service

3. bristolrovers thread starter macrumors newbie

He said there was already a SIM card in the phone.

I'd expect it to atleast say "Welcome to the 02 pay as you go service, you do not have enough credit to make this call" But no, nothing. "Call back" It doesn't even ring... But I have full signal? hmm

4. bristolrovers thread starter macrumors newbie

Why would you delete it? I'm not even sure its blocked. It just sounds like it... If anyone else could confirm it.

5. cdustybk macrumors member

I'm 99.99999% sure it's blocked. I know most cell phones still show signal and even the company name even when blocked. I don't know, but I'd assume iPhones are the same.

Jailbreaking won't "unblock" service usage. Jailbreaking simply gives you full read and write abilities to all the folders on the phone.

Sorry. Just try a differnet SIM

6. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Sorry if you take my post wrong. The #s on the sim has been disconnect or cancel the service. So, the #s is available to use, you can activate it through your phone with your credit card info and you will get the service continue.