Jailbreaking a jailboken iphone?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by doubleohess, Dec 11, 2010.

1. doubleohess macrumors newbie

I jailbroke my iphone with jailbreakme.com. I want to jailbreak it with redsn0w instead, so i can use my iphone as a jailbreak device for my ps3. How do i go about jailbreaking with redsn0w when i already jailbroke with jailbreakme.com?
    edit: I have 3.1.2, by the way.

2. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

You will need to update to 4.x first. Do a DFU restore. If you can install 4.1 its the best right now. Otherwise You will have to go to 4.2.1, which depending on which model you have might be tethered.

3. doubleohess, Dec 11, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2010

doubleohess thread starter macrumors newbie

i have a 3g. When i upgraded to 4.0 a long time ago it slowed down my phone to an almost unusable state.
    edit: So how do i go about upgrade my iphone to 4.1, then jailbreaking with redsn0w?
    edit #2:From what i've researched, you can't use a 4.1 iphone to jailbreak your ps3. So is there any way to keep it on 3.1.2 and still rejailbreak with redsn0w?

4. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

I have a question, I've been waiting for a PS3 jailbreak for, well since it first came out in early september, with the iPhone and hadn't heard any news. Unfortunately I upgraded my PS3 because I couldn't play any games online otherwise. Do you still have to be on the old firmware for the PS3 or can you be on the current 3.55? Also, about jailbreaking on the PS3, can you go on the internet if it's jailbroken? I heard that sony could ban your playstation from the entire network.

5. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

Ok you have a 3G, in that case Redsnow should be able to jailbreak you on your current firmware, since Redsnow incorporates both the old jailbreak and the new limerain jailbreak to work on anything.

The best bet to prevent anything from messing up/acting weird, do a DFU restore, and then use Redsnow to re-jailbreak. Check out ipodtouchfans.com/forum for information on how to do this.

As far as jailbreaking the PS3, I have no info. I've never owned a PS3.

6. doubleohess thread starter macrumors newbie

would DFU restoring delete all my contacts and such?

7. doubleohess thread starter macrumors newbie

8. labman macrumors 604

labman

9. doubleohess thread starter macrumors newbie

I put it in dfu mode, and tried to install redsn0w, but it froze at waiting for reboot. Should i use a version of redsnow other than 9.4?

10. doubleohess thread starter macrumors newbie

i still can't figure out how to get it to work after researching all day.

11. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

12. doubleohess thread starter macrumors newbie

would restoring with itunes not delete all my contacts and such?

13. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Yes, it will remove your contacts, but you can just resync them.

14. Fijiman1 macrumors newbie

iTunes will only allow you to Restore to 4.2.1FW as 3.1.2 is not "signed" anymore. You will have to have your SHSH blobs saved, to do the restore to 3.1.2FW

15. labman macrumors 604

labman

OP has a 3G shsh blobs don't apply! op you can get the firmware if you need it from here http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/

16. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

With 3G phones, Apple didn't implement software SHSH checks until 4.0 and above. 3.1.3 and below, you can install them and not have to worry about SHSH. Thus, the OP should be able to install 3.1.2 just fine on his/her 3G iPhone.

17. doubleohess thread starter macrumors newbie

how do i restore 3.1.2 in itunes instead of the latest firmware from online?

18. doubleohess, Dec 12, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2010

doubleohess thread starter macrumors newbie

okay, i've got it to unjailbreak my phone, now i am trying to use redsnow to jailbreak. it says waiting for reboot a few times, then the apple logo comes up on my phone, it still says waiting for reboot, and my phone turns on normaly.
    edit: It goes through waiting for reboot 2 times, the screen turns white, it then says waiting for reboot again, the iphone starts up iOS, then just starts normally and redsnow is stuck on waiting for reboot.

19. doubleohess thread starter macrumors newbie

I appreciate all the help immensely. I finally got it working, ps3 and all. Thank you to everyone, you were a great help.