Jailbreaking affecting your battery?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AJ Muni, Aug 13, 2010.

1. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

Hey guys, came back to iPhone after leaving (had the original 3G running 2.0.2) and back then, I remember having my phone jailbroken used to kill my battery life, and cause massive lag. I jus jailbroke my phone, and while I see no lag, I'm kind of curious about battery life. For those of you who have jailbroken, u see any decrease in battery? I've been using biteSMS, and it feels like battery is draining faster...or maybe its me being paranoid...

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It does drain a bit faster, but not much. I haven't noticed any difference on my 3Gs running 3.1.3.

3. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

I've not seen any discernible difference in battery performance.
    It will totally depend on what you decide to install.

The jailbreak itself has no impact on battery usage.

4. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

Restored as new 4.0.1 and jailbroke and experienced battery drain. Restored as new again, jailbroke again, experienced battery drain again.

Only things I installed with the JB was:
    1. MakeItMine
    2. Strength
    3. 3G Unrestrictor
    3a. As a result, Mobile Substrate is installed

In all cases with the iPhone 4 sitting idle overnight for about 6 hours the jailbroken phone would be at 95% to 96%. The un-jailbroken one is always still at 100%.

Each night I would close all the apps I could.

To be fair, if I was using the phone a lot, the battery would perform about the same no matter if it was jailbroken or not BUT standby time was reduced noticeably when jailbroken.

That was my experience.

5. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

It totally depends on what apps you install once jailbroken.

I have been thrilled with battery performance on my jb'd iP4. I have My3G, SBSettings, LockInfo and Winterboard installed, a combo that would drain my 3GS ridiculously fast and just destroyed previous model's batteries, and have been so pleased with how long my iP4 lasts on a single charge.

6. RonHC macrumors 6502a

RonHC

I havent seen much difference on mine

I have:
    SBSettings
    Winterboard: w/ Video Wallpaper
    iFile
    Infinidock

7. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

Ironically SBSettings (or more specifically Activator which is installed with it) is one of the biggest complaints I've seen for battery performance.

8. RedCloud75013 macrumors member

no difference in battery life here. I just have SBS settings (and all related packages installed), and the latest version of mobilesubstrate. I am not using any of the 'activator' functions... is this what causes no additional battery drain? not sure.

9. nidserz macrumors 6502a

nidserz

My brother has a 3GS and he jailbroke it to unlock for our vacation.
    He has used SBSettings and noticed that when Wi-Fi is on, his battery drains ridiculously fast. He never has his phone shut off in the night and it did.
    Now he has started to turn his Wi-Fi off when not in use. He said it was something about people getting information through Wi-Fi due to the jailbreak. Not sure how true that is, but he isn't happy about the battery after jailbreaking.

10. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

I was having battery issues on my I4 until I uninstalled the my3G. Apparently that was affecting my battery life.