Jailbreaking an Ipad...

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by NotTempted, Feb 7, 2010.

1. NotTempted macrumors member

I was wondering who will be jailbreaking their Ipads at the first opportunity. And what do some of those who are more experianced with jailbroken apples looking forward to if indeed the Ipad can be jailbroken? I, for one, will not be doing this if indeed it becomes possible because I will be using the Ipad with some sensitive info that I do not wish third parties to be able to access, but I like to keep myself well informed of the possibilities...

2. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

I won't be JBing my iPad for fear that I void the warranty faster than expected. I'm just not a good JBer. :eek:

3. melman101 macrumors 68030

I won't jailbreak mine to be honest. I have my 3GS jailbroken, and all I installed is SBSettings and MyWi.

As for warranty, as long as it works the same as the iPhone 3GS, you don't need to worry. You can always restore it to default settings.

But like I said, I won't jailbreak unless there is a super compelling reason.

4. Sketh macrumors 6502

Sketh

The main reason I used to jailbreak my iPod was to make my own themes for it, but now that the iPad can have it's own wallpaper, that's not as much of an issue.

But I'll still jailbreak, for Emulators, possibly multi-tasking, other reasons.

5. fishmoose macrumors 68000

I think I will JB it for multitasking, but I'm not going to do it when JB becomes available going to wait and see if it's safe first.

6. zemzabob macrumors regular

zemzabob

7. NotTempted thread starter macrumors member

Yea I JBed my Ipod touch when I first got it. It was nice I suppose to think that I had the power to be able to modify my operating system but when I bought my 3g I could not take the risk. I have my entire client list on there and it syncs with outlook. There were contracts and all sorts of information that I could and would not want others to see. At least with apple I know that there would be a better chance that I could be recouped if there were an invasion of privacy at no fault of my own (admittedly naive self assurance to be sure, but at least its something). With the increase of screen real estate here I think the temptation, should Jailbreaking become a reality, would be just that much greater as well. However, I do think that there has been benefit as a side effect to Jailbreaking these devices. When people trying to buck the system found that they may have been missing the boat with the so called "app store gold rush" I am sure some ran into a fork in the road. I think Apple benefited from it either way. Innovation or Security.

8. geekmommy4 macrumors 6502

geekmommy4

Absolutely (after it's well tested). Mainly for multi-tasking and to be able to handle more icons on the dock.

9. err404 macrumors 68020

I've Jailbroken my iPhones on and off for the last 3 years. Currently it is not JB, but I will probably do it on my iPhone for MyWi when the iPad comes out. I most likely will not JB the iPad since i don't feel that multitasking is as needed on that form factor. If I want to listen to Pandora, I will have my phone on hand anyway.

10. tys macrumors 6502

I will absolutely jailbreak mine asap!
    JB makes the iPhone SO much better, a JB iPad will be amazing.
    Originally I was going to wait for JB before even buying an iPad, but now I'm planning to buy one regardless.
    I'm NOT buying another iPhone until I know there's a JB for it, however. (unless the new version has all the features I currently JB for, which is unlikely)

11. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Backgrounder would be the only reason why I'd jailbreak it, however that's assuming I wanted to replace my iPhone with an iPad (Skype).

12. chrisesposito macrumors member

As soon as the JB for the iPad is available and stable, I'll be doing it. There's too many useful things on my jailbroken 3GS for me to want to give that up.