iPhone Jailbreaking an iPhone to be used for T-Mobile?

ccapman670

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2012
New Orleans / Baton Rouge
How would one go about jail breaking an iPhone for use with Tmobile? I'm assuming it would have to be an ATT phone not a Verizon since Verizon uses CDMA. I know how to jail break using absinthe (just did my iPhone 4 on Verizon a few days ago and had NO idea what I was missing!), but is that all there is or are there extra steps so that it will work on Tmobile? Thanks for all of your replies!

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
You have jaibreaking confused with unlocking. Both are two different things. Jailbreaking allows you access to Cydia, where from, you can install 3rd party apps.

Depending on the iPhone 4's firmware you can either do a software or gevey unlock depending on the baseband. If the iPhone 4 is out of contract or when it is you can get it unlocked by AT&T but you have to be a current customer (or have a friend to it for you).

ccapman670

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2012
You have jaibreaking confused with unlocking. Both are two different things. Jailbreaking allows you access to Cydia, where from, you can install 3rd party apps.

Depending on the iPhone 4's firmware you can either do a software or gevey unlock depending on the baseband. If the iPhone 4 is out of contract or when it is you can get it unlocked by AT&T but you have to be a current customer (or have a friend to it for you).
Ah I see thanks for the information. What if it's a used ATT phone with a clean ESN that I get off Craigslist or whatever. My aunt has t-mobile and wants to buy a used iPhone 4 or 4S, without going through ATT to "unlock" it can I use that Gevery unlock to do it? Thanks

intoxicated662

macrumors regular
Feb 29, 2008
Ah I see thanks for the information. What if it's a used ATT phone with a clean ESN that I get off Craigslist or whatever. My aunt has t-mobile and wants to buy a used iPhone 4 or 4S, without going through ATT to "unlock" it can I use that Gevery unlock to do it? Thanks
Yes, you can. Currently MMS, SMS and calling all work fine along with data but the data speeds are 2g/Edge. It's okay for me. I currently have an iPhone 4s on Simple Mobile (they use T-Mobile towers) and all those things I mentioned work fine. Only downside to this is that FaceTime & iMessage only work with an email address.

ccapman670

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2012
Yes, you can. Currently MMS, SMS and calling all work fine along with data but the data speeds are 2g/Edge. It's okay for me. I currently have an iPhone 4s on Simple Mobile (they use T-Mobile towers) and all those things I mentioned work fine. Only downside to this is that FaceTime & iMessage only work with an email address.
Awesome thanks! Is Gevery similiar to Absinthe in how it works? Sorry for the newb questions I just jail broke my phone a couple of days ago so I'm learning!

intoxicated662

macrumors regular
Feb 29, 2008
Awesome thanks! Is Gevery similiar to Absinthe in how it works? Sorry for the newb questions I just jail broke my phone a couple of days ago so I'm learning!
It's okay, glad to help. Gevey is just the sim interposer that lets you use a different sim other than your phones official carrier. Mine is an AT&T factory locked phone. However, with the gevey ultra I am able to bypass that and unlock for use on t-mobile. Absinthe is just the jail breaking app that allows you to install cydia, tweaks and do other things on your phone that normally isn't possible. Absinthe shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes to jailbreak.

Dewey937

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2012
What all did you have to do and what site did you get the ultra gevey from will it work with all carriers ?

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Grey market vendor IMEI unlocks are as cheap as a sim interposers.
Spend your money on an IMEI unlock, the sim interposers are a pain.

There are a couple of threads here about IMEI unlocks.

mwalsh5757

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2012
Grey market vendor IMEI unlocks are as cheap as a sim interposers.
Spend your money on an IMEI unlock, the sim interposers are a pain.

There are a couple of threads here about IMEI unlocks.
Agreed. $8 and having it done while I'm out having lunch versus a whole evening of Jailbreaking/Unlocking with Redsn0w and Cydia. Man, I personally ain't gonna bother doing none of that stuff no more! :)