Jailbreaking an Ipod Touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by theRkid, Aug 1, 2010.

1. theRkid macrumors member

Hey...I want to know exactly what Jailbreaking does.

I've never owned an iPod Touch, but am planning on getting one. I was wondering what it does...

Thanks!

2. celticpride678

Jailbreaking is a way to get applications, themes and system tweaks that Apple does not approve.

3. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    It will let you do lots of stuff. Like changing icon themes, running annaproved apps, making tweaks, and much more. There are lots of possibilities.

4. SoraLimit macrumors regular

It allows capabilities that Apple restrict in their iOS products.

For example, tired of the old interface? Theme you iPod to be completely different.

Want Wireless internet tethering? Cydia has an App for that. (More useful on the iPhone though. :p)

Want to display info like messages, email, and even tweets on the lockscreen? They have an app for that.

Want an NES/SNES/N64/etc. emulator?

Before multitasking and folders were officially made, jailbreaking already had that. (Backgrounding and CategoriesSB, respectively)

Many of the Official App store apps can't do this, because developers have specific APIs that they are given from Apple to follow. With jailbreaking, it allows your iOS product to become an open-source device.

5. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

You can have a background, multitasking, access to Cydia, etc.

6. gdkid2010 macrumors regular

I "jailbroke" my 1st gen iPod touch last night with JailBreakMe.com. Pretty cool stuff. I've only done the theme customization at this point. Haven't messed with anything else.