Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Miko

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2009
Hi i'm planning on getting my first ipod touch in September when the 3g comes out and I am wondering if jailbreaking won't destroy my new ipod!

I also heard that if your ipod is jailbroken you cannot claim warranty on it. Could you un-jailbreak it then send it in if you have a problem with it and Apple wont notice?

I also read about Cydia and how you can get free and cracked apps. I also read where lots of people were having problems with Cydia and their ipod repeatidly turned off and on and Cydia screwed up their ipod. I really don't want to have to pay for apps for the ipod but after reading how risky it all is, i'm re-thinking it and will have to pay and let Apple win.

Is Cydia dangerous if installed correctly?
Does Cydia have all of the popular apps on iTunes cracked and available for free download?

jmann

macrumors 604
If you do a DFU restore before you send it in Apple won't be able to tell it was ever jailbroken. We can't give advice about cracked apps here. You should pay for the applications and support the developer and all their hard work. Cydia isn't dangerous, it works just fine. You might want to download and try the faster version of Cydia call Icy, it only refreshes repositories when you tell it too, and it has landscape mode, and a much nice interface.

Finlandboy

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
its nearly IMPOSSIBLE to destroy ur ipod by jailbreaking it...and i highly recommend JB'ing ur ipod, it opens up a TON of possibilities for ur device

Austin2048

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2009
Holmes, Pennsylvania
my iPod is jailbroken and it hasnt had meny problems. springboard crashes every once in awhile but thats cuz i installed lockdown for 3.0. it still has bugs and everything went downhill after installing FontSwap.... crashes every 5 minutes, random reboots. just stay away from FontSwap on Cydia and you will be good. i highly reccomend jailbreaking. you can do so much and it is really worth it

instaxgirl

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Edinburgh, UK
I really don't want to have to pay for apps for the ipod but after reading how risky it all is, i'm re-thinking it and will have to pay and let Apple win.

Paying isn't letting Apple "win" :rolleyes: It's paying for something you want to own. No one is forcing you to buy it.

Does Cydia have all of the popular apps on iTunes cracked and available for free download?

Cydia isn't like the App Store without price tags. I've never just stumbled across a cracked app in Cydia (I don't even know if they're stored there) what I do know is that installing a cracked app isn't easy, and they aren't at all guaranteed to be reliable. They're really not worth the effort, most apps are pretty cheap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.