Jailbreaking and making backups

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by matt.85, Nov 23, 2010.

1. matt.85 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I am a bit confused about something and need clarification

Lets say that I decide to jailbreak my phone and then take regular backups (to save messages etc.) Sometime down the line I the decide that I don't want the phone to be jailbroken anymore so I restore the phone. I want my messages etc back so I will obviously want to restore from a backup I took. Will the jailbreak still be completely gone or will restoring from backup bring bits of it back?

If it is the case that jailbroken backups keep parts of the jailbreak then surely you can never go back to a vanilla ios, unless you forsake all backups and start over.

Matt

2. twisted-pixel macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

restoring from a back up of a jailbroken phone, can bring back some of the jailbroken bits.

I don't know if anyone has done any research into exactly what...but for me I used MIM to change my carrier logosetc, and after a restoring to a clean unjailbroken phone, this was still showing.

so, yes..you have to forgo your backups if you want to have a completely clean phone

3. matt.85 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the explanation. In that case is there another way of saving contacts, calendar items etc?

4. andy9l macrumors 68000

Those will be synced to your computer's equivalent application if you're doing it correctly.

ie. My iMac's 'Address Book' app is full of my iPhone contacts (pictures, emails and all) - I've never added a contact via my iMac. Same with emails, calendar entries, voice memos, etc.

Here's a list for Macs, and a potentially incorrect one for Windows:

Macs
    Contacts -> Address Book
    Emails -> Mac/Apple Mail (or perhaps another client if setup)
    Voice Memos -> iTunes
    Calendar entries -> iCal
    Notes -> *Unsure*
    Apps/music in your iTunes anyway

Windows
    Contacts -> Outlook(???)
    Emails -> Outlook or other if setup
    Voice Memos -> iTunes
    Calendar entries -> Outlook(???)
    Notes -> *Unsure*
    Again, apps/music in your iTunes

Upon restoring you will need to 'setup as new phone' to "completely" (as far as we know) remove the Jailbreak 'bits'. When you do this, you will lose all your settings and texts but the rest can be easily, and quickly, setup again - as described above, everything should be ready and waiting your PC/Mac now.

Please correct me with Windows, I have little idea what's going on with that OS anymore.