jailbreaking and unlocking 3.1.3 to IOS 4 questions

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by dave900, Jun 24, 2010.

1. dave900 macrumors newbie

Hi, I have a question about jailbreaking.

So, I have an iphone 3GS old bootrom (MB) with 3.1.3 firmware. In a week i will be upgrading to the iphone 4 and i will no longer have use for my 3GS so i will be giving it to my sister. My sister wants the phone unlocked because she is moving to France in a month. So in the meantime until i get the iphone 4 i would like to have it unlocked and also have IOS4 running on it.

Now i was reading that in order to jailbreak and unlock ios4 from 3.1.3, i would already have to have my phone jailbroken and unlocked with snowbreeze.

My question is, after putting in the effort and installing and unlocking my iphone in IOS4, when the time comes to give my phone to my sister, She is most likely going to sync the phone to itunes to put music she likes on it. Would her doing this (setting up as new phone) would that erase all of my efforts to jailbreak and unlock it on IOS4 and then put it into an unlockable state because there is no way to unlock IOS4 without it previously being jailbroken?

Sorry if this is confusing to read, I tried to make it as simple as possible.
    Any help and info on this would be greatly appreciated

2. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

3. dave900 thread starter macrumors newbie

my phone as of right now is not jailbroken. I have had it jailbroken before with blackra1n. But since i upgraded to 3.1.3 i have not jailbroken it.

4. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

If you have your SHSH on file, then you can downgrade to 3.1.2, jailbreak, and then upgrade to a custom 4.0. If not, the only thing you can do is jailbreak 3.1.3 with Spirit. Unfortunately, a phone jailbroken with Spirit cannot be upgraded to 4.0 jailbroken right now.

Once your phone is jailbroken, it can be unlocked with ultrasn0w. Syncing will not undo the unlock, but restoring will. If she upgrades to 4.0 official, she will lose the ability to unlock for now.

5. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Have you kept count of how many times you've post this reply in the past couple of day. lol

6. dave900 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the info

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Way too many times :D

8. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Sadly, I have typed it up each time. I should really learn to copy-paste. ;)