Jailbreaking & App Store

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by careys7, May 26, 2008.

1. careys7 macrumors newbie

I'm just wondering - I've got a jailbroken iPod touch, and it's great.

What is the upgrade process to the 'app store firmware' expected to look like? During upgrading, is the firmware restored and then upgraded and broken again (ie will I loose my installed apps?).

I'm guessing someone has already done it?

2. Four20 macrumors 6502a

Four20

The official 'app store firmware' hasn't been released yet. . .so no one has done it yet. Some have done the beta. . .but it will end up changing by the time the official release is out.

When that firmware comes out, you will need to restore to the unjailbroken firmware(via itunes) then you'll use a program like ziphone to jailbreak it again

sadly there has not been a solution to firmware upgrades that keep your data + apps untouched. . .this is mainly because the os keeps getting dramatic changes(sometimes even breaking the apps). . .which is why some applications like stack doesn't work on firmware 1.1.3/1.1.4

thankfully there is the 'time capsule' application. . .which will backup applications like contacts, notes, youtube, etc. . .so after you upgrade you can reinstall time capsule and restore your data

3. spinstorm macrumors 65816

ZiPhone will NOT work on 2.0. ZiPhone's method used a security "bug" in 1.1.4 firmware and below which has been fixed in 2.0 by Apple.

And no one should use it anyway.

Right now the only way to jailbreak 2.0 is using Pwnage - but as 2.0 is not out yet you have to wait for both the firmware and the pwnage update to use it.

4. careys7 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks, that's exactly what i thought.

the main reason is i really need the wedict app, and one of the dictionaries is no longer available in installer (idk why) so if I upgrade i'll loose it.

i have the feeling most devs are going to continue to write for installer.app?