Jailbreaking best practice when updating

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by antisoma, May 23, 2012.

1. antisoma macrumors regular

Could someone remind me of best practice for updating firmware. In anticipation and preparation of going from 5.0.1 to 5.1.1 when the jailbreak is released later this week.

I remember restoring to original was recommended for earlier jailbreaks, does that still apply. Is there any reason not to just upgrade, jailbreak and restore jailbreak backup (from xbackup, packagebackup or similar)?

2. nwmtnbiker macrumors 68000

nwmtnbiker

I personally always update fw then restore and totally wipe out phone then set up as new. I even sometimes after doing the restore go into settings and Erase All Content and Settings from settings. But probably that is just a tad bit anal...:rolleyes:

3. MastahRiz macrumors 6502

^this is the best way to do it, although it's time consuming. It ensures you have absolutely no jb data left over from the previous jb.

4. conartist4u macrumors regular

conartist4u

Best practice entails, in no particular order:

1- Ensure you don't need unlock
    2- If 1 applies, wait for custom IPSW maker I.e redsn0w or sn0wbreeeze
    3- Ensure jailbreak in untethered
    4- make sure condition 3 is met before reading on
    5- Ensure you have proper backup online and offline. I.e iCloud and mac.
    6- Ensure next ipsw is stable and don't be a beta tester. ( people like me will do it for you)
    7- Don't update if you like you battery efficiency. New updates usually( don't sue me) lead to worsening battery standby
    8- Save blobs whereever and whenever
    9- Make sure you have latest tools used to restore and jailbreak
    10- Donate donate donate to dev team and all those iphone iOS freedom fighters
    11- did you donate? if no go back to 10
    12- i'm serious dude, couple of bucks will make them smile
    12A- assuming you donating don't use pirated apps, it ruins lives
    14- Don't ask why there wasn't a 13th step. I am kinda superstitious when comes down to best practice and having a number 13 on the list.

Please add some more using 15- and so on