Jailbreaking Dangers and Unlocking

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by EyeVone, Jul 4, 2011.

1. EyeVone macrumors newbie

Hi

I would like to jailbreak and unlock my Iphone 4, running, ios 4.3.3 and have a baseband of 4.10.01, and it is possible to unlock showing here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skC3Eq0XKlU&feature=relmfu

What I would like to know is a few things:

1)What is SSH
    2)What is Remote Password
    3)Do I need either as:

I shall not be downloading ANY apps whatsoever from the Cydia App store, I wish to only unlock my phone, saying this as I am locked to Orange (UK) and they will not unlock my phone for a further 3months which is too long imo as ive waited 3 months before and now they are saying ive got to wait another 3months as my SIM wasnt paired with the phone. Anywho, thats all I wish to do unlock my phone. Is it ok not to install SSH or change the Remote Password, seeing as im not downloading any apps from cydia which may harm the phone and put malware on there (which installing SSH prevents amiright?)

Also

I know that I can jailbreak and get all my SMS back as i can just restore to an old version of my iphone, i.e.

PLug in Iphone
    Back Up Iphone
    Jailbreak
    Plug Iphone back into the Mac
    Restore Iphone to the back up and hey presto get all my stuff back

What if IOS5 comes out, and its jailbroken, can I still get all my messages and stuff back?? When I update?? As it'll be a backup of a jailbreak right?? Or do I update with a jailbroken version??

Help is much appreciated. :)

EDIT: I have searched and come up with nothing

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

EDIT: I have searched and come up with nothing

Really! :rolleyes:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=983491

please read the stickies at the top of the forum they answer all that!!!! :rolleyes: also google works great. everybody ask these same questions if you can't find these answers yourself. do yourself a favor and stay away from jailbreaking.

btw way if you wanna unlock only way to go is Gevey Sim no jailbreak needed.

3. EyeVone thread starter macrumors newbie

that does not answer my question unfortunately. Sure it tells me what SSH is but it doesnt tell me if i need it or not.

Gevey Sim is illegal......if my carrier finds out i have it they will block the fone, also Gevey Sim doesnt work in IOS5

4. labman macrumors 604

labman

ok 1.

SSH stands for Secure Shell.
    It is just a protocol that allows you to access your ipod touch or Iphone from your desktop PC or mac and execute commands on it (thus allowing you to copy any kind of data to the ipod touch without itunes). it's also used for a lot of customization things if you know what you're doing. I'd highly advise you to install SSH, since it's needed for some apps (for example if you install a GBA emulator you have to get your GBA-ROMs to the touch. this is impossible without SSH).

use a program like cyberduck on mac or WinSCP on windows and you can browse your ipod like any other hard drive and explore it's content (which can be very interesting).

2: What is Remote Password

it is you password to get in to your device default is alpine you need to change it.

3. if you jailbreak it is to your benefit to learn how to use it.

only unlockable baseband is 1.59 released with 4.0 firmware so unless you still have that only option is gevey or sell yours buy a unlocked iphone this is even possible in the us now. just have to pay full retail at apple.

5. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

The Gevey sim is only illegal if you're stupid enough to let the 112 call go through.

6. EyeVone thread starter macrumors newbie

http://www.technobolt.com/2011/02/28/iphone-4-ios-4-3-baseband-4-10-01-can-be-unlock-confirmed/

not true

7. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

8. EyeVone thread starter macrumors newbie

ok ok, it was an old article i assumed there was an updated one, i saw a vid and saw that he is right. Sorry. So the only way is gevey sim? thought the carriers could block me for using that? can anything go wrong using it?? theres the gevey ultra which means i dont have to dial 112, but i still have to jailbreak, so id have to use the original gevey to stay away from jailbreaking. Just a bit weary of using gevey sim, as ive heard that you have to keep repeating it if u lose signal or turn off the phone.

9. labman macrumors 604

labman

And this is why I sometimes come across rude to newbies sometimes. I try to be nice and then I get a simple reply (not true) to everything I said. linking a old out dated twitter by musclenerd. :rolleyes: that was probably the last thing a dev member said about a unlock. you searched that but you could search the other crap. (really) Since I don't know what the hell i am talking about somebody else help him. BTW happy 4th to my friends US any way.

10. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

only you can answer if you need it or not, there are thousands of tweaks once your jailbroken does not mean you need them all, it comes down to what you want your jailbroken phone to have the ability to do

11. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Go install Ultrasn0w and tell us how successful you are. If you're going to be rude to senior members, don't bother posting.

As for SSHing, it is a must for certain themes and emulators (the ROMs, that is). You can decide from there if you need it. It is advised to change your root password so that other people cannot have access to your iPhone via wifi to do malicious things.

12. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

:rolleyes:When you assumed, it made an ass out of you.
    Either you use gevey or you wait for the orange unlock. You have no other choices.