jailbreaking help. 2g ipod touch 8GB MCmodel

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by MinorBidoh, Feb 14, 2010.

1. MinorBidoh macrumors 6502

MinorBidoh

Right...I'm trying (very trying) to jailbreak an Ipod touch 3rd generation with the 3.1.3 firmware - the MC model. I've tried installing 3.1.2 but it says the firmware is not recognised/ compatible etc... and I've tried using redsnow and rebooting saying it's ipsw is a version of 3.1.2 [iPod3,1_3.1.2_7D11_Restore.ispw] instead of the 3.1.3 version it has loaded on it from the latest itunes auto restore upgrade...it didn't work.

...redsnow says it accepts the firmare, but because it is the new generation, an info box comes up saying ±"will accept 3rd gen ipod but cannot alter backgroundtheme? and must remain tethered when rebooting?"..or something.

the screen then went blank and it didn't load the new jailbreak os..then it showed the apple symbol:apple::eek:, and has loaded back up with 3.1.3 still running>??:confused::confused:.

waaaahhhhh.!!
    am I just trying to attempt something that can bare no gifts?!:(

2. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

An MC model loaded with 3.1.3 can not be jailbroken. The update closed the USB exploit used for the 3.1.2 jailbreak. It also can't be downgraded back to 3.1.2 as iTunes verifies the installation with Apples server and will prevent a downgrading.

Your only hope is if you uploaded your devices SHSH data through Cydia when you jailbroke 3.1.2 as you can use this to trick iTunes into verifying a 3.1.2 install.

Google "Restore SHSH through Cydia" for info.

3. MinorBidoh thread starter macrumors 6502

MinorBidoh

reply.

the trouble is iv'e never installed 3.1.2 ...[i haven't jailbroken? jailbreaked??! before] i have downloaded the 3.1.2, but like you say it won't allow the installtion to take place.

there's mainly info on iphones, and its a bit sketchy around the b.new ipod touch.:(

any ideas??

4. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

It's the same situation as the iphone, if you have gone to 3.1.3 having never jailbroken or backed up your SHSH data then you are stuck with standard 3.1.3 until a new jailbreak is released which may not be until after 4.0 is out as developers will most likely hold off revealing any new exploits so Apple can not plug them too early.

5. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

couldn't be explained any better. :D

also OP, if your iPod came with 3.1.3 out of the box, it wouldn't be compatible with 3.1.2 anyway. Well I mean it would, if you did some hacking you could eventually get it, but if it didn't come with it, you cant put it on. Just like how if you buy a Mac that comes with Snow Leopard, you can't downgrade to Leopard.

6. MinorBidoh thread starter macrumors 6502

MinorBidoh

Finally! a jailbreak on 3g ipod touch 3.1.3 MC- model

I have completed the apparently impossible!! managed to down grade the 3g 3.1.3 Mc model to 3.1.2 software. It's taken some serios research!

here's what i did;

download the 2g 3.1.2 software [iPod2,1_3.1.2_7D11_Restore]
    restore the ipod in itunes selecting to restore from the 2g firmware
    and it worked!! now running on 2g 3.1.2!!

I was then able to use blackra1n to jailbreak and now have the cydia app on the facia... all i need to do is hook up to wifi.

Thanks for all your help.mb

7. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

WTF!!!!?????? you've managed to find out something nobody has found out. i suggest telling the dev-team about this via twitter at www.twitter.com/iphone-dev

you might have just found out the new way to jailbreak the ipod touch 3g, for everybody. also, this mite be able to work for iphone 3gs's if we select the iphone 3g firmware.

8. MinorBidoh thread starter macrumors 6502

MinorBidoh

Success with wifi

Just been at a friends and connected to wifi...cydia is up and running, a jailbreak success! Got a snes emulator working, and watched a couple of winter olympics videos on iplayer... all seems to be in working order! spread the word!

Just to let you know this was with 3g ipod touch MC-model 3.1.3 8gb. let me know about the iphone.

p.s. don't have twitter.

9. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

Congrats, nice loophole. With no real changes to hardware between the original 2G and 3G 8GB there is really no reason why the older model firmware would not be compatible. Not sure it would be possible with the new 32\64 GB versions though could be some hardware conflict with those versions.

10. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

There is some confusion in this thread. It's the newer 'bootrom' (iPod Touch's don't have these) that prevents jailbreak on iPhone NOT iPod Touch!

11. binderjeep macrumors newbie

confirm?

Can anyone confirm this working for the 3g touch 32gb?

12. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

WRONG! iPod touch 2G's with the model number starting with MC have the new bootrom, and so do ALL iPod Touch 3G's. iPhone 3GS's made after around week 40 have a new bootrom. Some do, some dont. Different factories started adding the new bootrom at different times. And no it doesn't prevent jailbreaks, it prevents untethered jailbreaks.

13. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

The 32\64 3rd Gen Touch and the New 2nd Gen 8GB also use the new BootROM which is why the "MC" models were only able to use a tethered jailbreak on 3.1.2. Perhaps you are thinking of the baseband unlock which is strictly iPhone.

14. NathanA macrumors 6502a

*sigh*

Your "MC" model 8GB iPod Touch is a 2G Touch. It just has a fixed bootrom that prevents untethered jailbreaking (as traditionally implemented) from working. I wish people would stop calling these 3G Touches because they simply aren't! (I ranted at length about this 2G vs. 3G thing over at ipodtouchfans.com: post #1, and post #2.)

I'm really surprised that everybody else is surprised that this "trick" works. This is "breaking news" over at ipodtouchfans.com, too, and it boggles the mind. The "MC" model 8GB touch has always used iPod2,1 firmware, and does not require SHSH signing by Apple to load firmware on the device, just as the original "MB" 2G iPod Touches also didn't.

-- Nathan

15. MinorBidoh thread starter macrumors 6502

MinorBidoh

Thread title changed. Thanks people, and particularly Nathan.

16. bigmac10p macrumors newbie

i had this exact same problem

i have a 2nd gen *revised* MC model 8gb ipod touch. when i first jailbroke it i didnt realise it was tethered, so naturally when it restarted and told me to connect to itunes, i did so. what i did while doing so was update to 3.1.3. :( i hadnt a clue about how to downgrade so i didnt bother until 2 weeks ago, when i found out how to from a friend. it worked and i now have an awesome jailbroken ipod!! yay. :D

17. bigmac10p macrumors newbie

thanks be to f**k that someone speaks sense about here