Jailbreaking help

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by neuro8936, Dec 1, 2010.

1. neuro8936 macrumors newbie

I'm thinking of jailbreaking my 3gs. I'm running os 4.2.1

Here is the thing... I am not tech savy at all, so I am finding the whole topic of jailbreaking and how to do it to be confusing. Can any one explain this concept and how to do it in non-tech terms? lol

Also, is jailbreaking safe? I've heard it lets people hack into your phone and voids the warranty. I've had my phone for almost 2 years now, so I'm sure whatever warranty i got when I bought it is over by now.

Thanks!

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Jailbreaking allows you to customize your iPhone or whatever iDevice you have. Jailbreaking also allows you buy/use 3rd party apps apple doesn't allow in the App Store.

There are two types of jailbreaks: tethered and untethered

Tethered Jailbreak = Everytime your device needs to be rebooted or the battery dies you have to run the jailbreak software to turn it back on.

Untethered = Your device can be rebooted anytime without being forced to run the jailbreak to turn back on.

Jailbreaking is perfectly safe and legal. From Apple's point of view, it voids your warranty. If you restore your iPhone the jailbreak will be erased and any trace of it would be gone.

3. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Until you understand jb, I don't suggest you try. Right now, the jb for 4.2.1 is tethered. For a newbie, that might be more practice with jb than you want.

I do recommend d/l tiny umbrella and saving your SHSH blobs. You don't have to be jb and they'll be useful in the future. Even if you change your mind, the blobs are useful. I wish more non-jb would save their blobs. The reduction of panicky e-mails would be a relief.

4. neuro8936 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice. What does SHSH blobs mean? And what is tiny umbrella?

5. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

6. SavMBP15, Dec 2, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2010

SavMBP15 macrumors 6502

This is incorrect. If you have a 3G, or 3GS made before week 45 then you can do an untethered jailbreak on 4.2.1. I just did it and have rebooted my 3G and 3GS jailbroke and unlocked phone 2 times now with no issues.

7. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Fixed.

8. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

If you are not "tech Savy" them stop, and move on, Current stage the jailbreak is very Alpha and complicated, even for "tech Savy" and experienced jailbreaker is not issue free, be patient and wait for a the tools to be update and for the process to be standardized (also for most app to be update to work on the new firmware)