[Jailbreaking] I regret.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ramonf77, Feb 21, 2010.

1. ramonf77 macrumors newbie

Hi, I have a problem. I had someone jailbreak my iphone. After a few months I changed my mind because I heard a rumor that Apple would not let you update the iphone if it was jailbroken. I asked around to find out how to un-jailbreak it, and I was told to just connect it to my computer, run iTunes and update it, and it would un-jailbreak my iPhone for me.

I went about doing this, and suddenly got an error message (I remember 1602 as an error code. I have screen shots but I am not on my own computer right now). Now I can't restore it and it's dead-in-the-water.

I know that if I go to Apple to have it repaired, they'll figure out that it's jailbroken and void my warranty, and I'll have to pay.

So what I want to know is this:

1. What other consequences are there?
    2. Will there be legal action against me?

I'm perfectly willing to pay so that's not a problem, but my wife keeps telling me that it would be worse if I come clean. I need advice.

Your help would be appreciated.

2. jo0 macrumors regular

i'd start by getting in touch with a mediocre lawyer.

3. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I'll represent him in court.

4. rwd hero macrumors 6502

You should be able to plug it into iTunes and update to the most recent software and not be jailbroken anymore. If not try putting it into DFU mode and that should work.

5. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

6. The General macrumors 601

its more complicated than "apple wont let you update your phone if it was jailbroken."

itunes will just remove the jailbreak stuff when you update OR the update will fail and you'll have to restore (erasing everything)

there's no "let" involved here, its just a weird compatibility thing

correct. this is the error message i just talked about

DFU restore. search google.

no, you wont. it will restore just fine. all you need to do is put it in DFU mode and restore it. again, search google or this forum to find out how to do that.

none. so far there have already been none.

no. what law do you think you broke? the only thing you technically broke is the DMCA, but since it could be argued that surpassing the encryption in the firmware package to add cydia to it is for interoperability, you will win any case someone has against you.

jailbreaking is NOT illegal. i have no idea why people thing it is.

you're going to pay money to apple for out of warranty repair work because you cant de-jailbreak your phone so that apple wont void your warrant? none of this makes any sense at all

hope this helps

7. jo0 macrumors regular

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

9. FoxMcWeezer macrumors regular

That's the problem with the jailbreaking field. There are too many uneducated people taking guesses and believing everything they read from Google searches. Then they worry sporadically and/or mess up their device.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That is exactly the problem.
    Uneducated people that think jailbreaking will mess up their device:)

11. TurdFerguson macrumors 6502

If you can't research, educate yourself and figure out how to jailbreak you phone yourself, you shouldn't jailbreak it at all.

12. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

He didn't. Someone else did lol.

OP: If you can't DFU restore you should be ok to take it back to Apple. Worse that can happen is that they'll say it's jailbroken and they wont help you. Best that can happen. They will restore it to the latest firmware for you and your jailbreak will be removed.
    Simple really.

13. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

I think that's the point.

The whole jailbreak misinformation thing isn't helped by the purists running around linking that article about cell phone towers and whatever other rubbish it says.

And yet, I jailbroke just fine so it can't be that hard ;)

14. TurdFerguson macrumors 6502

Exactly, if he would have taken the time to educate himself on jailbreaking and done it for himself, he wouldn't be so worried about such a simple problem. Also he wouldn't be stressing about legal ramifcations :rolleyes:

15. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly :D
    [​IMG]

17. uburoibob macrumors regular

There ARE things that DFU restoring don't get rid of. At least there used to be when I jailbroke my iPod Touch Gen 1. But you WILL get it to work again.

18. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

This is only true if you restore the device from a backup. If you choose "Set up as a new device", all traces of jailbreaking will be gone.

19. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

because it says "JailBreaking" ...........you jailbreak you get time added to your sentence. like 2 more years to your AT&T contract!! :cool:

20. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

This is why noobs shouldn't jailbreak. Jesus.

IT IS NOT ILLEGAL TO JAILBREAK. Apple will not arrest you.

21. Phat^Trance macrumors regular

Phat^Trance