iPad Jailbreaking iPad 3

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by sigooner, Jun 14, 2012.

1. sigooner, Jun 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2012

sigooner macrumors member

Can anyone tell me in a few simple steps how to jailbreak the iPad 3?

When I go to settings it tells me I can update to 5.1.1? Should I update my software to this? Or will that ruin my jailbreak?

Also is that available jailbreak untethered or tethered?

Thanks for your help I'm a beginner

2. -TYLER macrumors regular

3. JMG macrumors 6502a

JMG

1) backup iPad

2) update to 5.1.1

3) open absinthe

4. sigooner thread starter macrumors member

Thanks

Is iclaified.com just as good as the green poison link?

5. JMG macrumors 6502a

JMG

I don't know. The green poison link worked just fine for me. M

6. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Either website will do. The greenpoison link is straight from the source. iClarified has guides/tutorials on how to jailbreak your device.

7. mlg1998 macrumors newbie

When jailbroken, can I still purchase music from iTunes and books from iBooks? In otherwords, do I have access to the app store, iTunes, and iBooks the same as before jailbreaking in addition to Cydia? I do alot of reading on my iPad 3rd gen.

I'm new to jailbreaking so I'm just trying to figure this out before going forward.

Thanks in advance.

8. sigooner thread starter macrumors member

on iclarified , it says this :

"Remember that once you're on iOS 5.1.1 you should save your SHSH Blobs by following this tutorial"

what does this mean?!!

9. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

10. sigooner thread starter macrumors member

11. sigooner thread starter macrumors member

12. enduro0125 macrumors member

13. sigooner thread starter macrumors member

i have jailbroken in the past! but i have never done that shsh blobs thing

14. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

you can do it after you JB it. its no biggie.

you just need to make sure you save blobs before a new IOS version comes out. once you upgrade, you cant downgrade to the before Ios fw without blobs.

Just Jb and use http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/ tinyumbrella to save your blobs.

in what ever order your heart desires. before/after/next tuesday.

enjoy your liberated ipad!

15. sigooner thread starter macrumors member

thanks alot... done!!

just to clarify, do i need to save the blobs before apple bring out a new ios eg ios 5.2, or before i update my jailbroken ios?

16. Dav1 macrumors 6502

17. No1nfoProvided macrumors 6502

Cydia also autosaves your SHSH blobs and AP tickets for you automatically if you just jailbreak and open it up.

18. Dav1 macrumors 6502

More than once it has been noted that you can't count on this anymore, :mad: for what that maybe worth, use TinyUmbrella, to save to your computer.

19. BFizzzle, Jun 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2012

BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

.....why so?
    if im on 5.1.1 and they release 5.1.2 and stop signing 5.1.1

i can save the blobs of my already signed 5.1.1

I agree you should do it as soon as possible, you never know if you have to restore your device due to a respring loop, but if you forgot to save the blobs some how, and a new firmware is out, you can most certainly save your blobs still...

** edit **

thanks night spring for clearing me up on that

20. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

No you can't, because the signed blob isn't saved anywhere -- it's just used to restore or update your device, and then poof! it disappears. Each time you try to install a firmware, say 5.1.1, iTunes dials home to Apple and requests a signed blob all over again. TinyUmbrella (and Cydia) works by requesting a signed blob from Apple, then instead of using it to install firmware, they save the blob. TU saves them to your computer, and Cydia saves to their server. So if you don't save your blob for 5.1.1 now, once Apple stops signing it after the next firmware is released, there's no way to get it anymore, period.

21. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

oh okay. i didnt know that. thanks for informing me.

22. Dav1 macrumors 6502

The following is from TinyUmbrella's FAQ;

And from iH8sn0w,

The New iPad is an A5 device...

TinyUmbrella now has support for saving 5.1 SHSH for Apple TV 3 and the iPad 3 (all versions). As of now we still cannot restore them but we are working on getting that working from a bunch of angles. I'll let you know more when I do.

If you are not jailbroken and want to save your SHSH, your only real choice is to use TinyUmbrella.

23. blastingas10, Jun 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2012

blastingas10 macrumors member

I got my ipad a month ago. Ive never done a jail break before. Are there any downsides to it? Is it safe? Could it cause my iPad to stop working properly? I'm not willing to chance it if it's not completely safe. It sounds cool and I kind of Want to do it. I just dont want anything to go wrong, I spent way too much money on this.

Another question, will jailbreaking delete everything that is saved on my iPad. Stuff like songs in GarageBand, iPod and pictures?

24. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

1, it's safe unless you start running amok in the file system with iFile / terminal and delete / move files. Cydia apps from the default repos (NOT from pirate ones!) are generally very safe.

2, it won't delete anything. (Nevertheless, you should always backup, even if you don't JB.)

25. Dav1 macrumors 6502

Define completely safe. If by that you mean 100.00000000000% safe, then the answer is no it is not. There is always some risk, the risk in jail breaking is small, but there is risk. Once you have a jailbroken device, you'll want to use the jailbreak and there is more risk in this, if you are new, chances approach in my ***opinion*** 100% that at some point in the future, you will load something at least once that will cause you to need to restore your iPad. Again in my opinion if you don't want to take that risk, put your iPad back in it's box, and put it in a vault and don't use it.

Simply do a google search on failed jailbreaking and you'll find countless stories of people "bricking" their devices. In almost all cases they can be recovered. How easy that is to do directly depends on ones ability to read and follow directions. The current jailbreak is the easiest one I've ever done, yet people still have issues with it. Am I'm sure someone, will be along shortly telling you it is 100% safe. They will tell you how they never had one go wrong and how you can't really break your device! Yet do the google search and you certainly can find thousands of people who have had issues. Thousands who have believed that they have bricked their device. They are not all plants from Apple.

Chance are very good that if you can sync your music from your computer to your iPad, you can jailbreak it.

Hope that helps...