Jailbreaking iPhone 2g?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Melissafacee, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Melissafacee macrumors newbie

Aug 4, 2010
    I have an iPhone 2g and since it's so ancient, I can never find anything posted recently about it. Which I understand, but it still leaves me in the dark when I have questions.

Basically I just want to know if I can even jailbreak my phone, how I should go about it, and if it's really worth it. I'm not really sure what happens when you jailbreak, I just know it unlocks your phone. Will I be able to use MMS if I unlock my phone? I don't really know much about technology and all that, so a lot of this stuff is so confusing to me.

I read that you will no longer have a warranty if you jailbreak, but what does this really mean? I'm not sure if I'm covered under any warranty anymore since I've had my phone for so long. So does this really even matter for me?

I also read you can make your phone go back to normal if you want. How would I do this if I choose to not stay jailbroken?

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!
  2. Psant macrumors regular

Jun 12, 2010
    Jailbreak with Spirit Jailbreak (Google it). It's pretty simple and one click.

Jailbreaking does not unlock your phone unless you install a package in the "jailbreak app store" in Cydia called ultrasnOw.

There is an option to have MMS with a jailbreak on the 2G, but it isn't natively supported by this phone because Apple said so.

Basically, the warranty crap is useless. You can always restore your phone to what it was "pre-jailbreak" in iTunes and no one could ever tell that you jailbroke your phone. Your warranty is one year anyway, so you're out of it unless you bought an additional AppleCare one.
  3. Melissafacee thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 4, 2010

What about jailbreakme? That's what got me interested in jailbreaking. I'm literally like a day into all this jailbreaking stuff haha so I know next to nothing.
  4. Psant macrumors regular

Jun 12, 2010
    Yeah, or you can do that. Haven't tried it myself though. Just got to that site on your iPhone.