jailbreaking iphone 3g to ios4

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Obese Lobsters, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Obese Lobsters macrumors member

I was looking around the forums and couldn't find what to do, but I have an iphone 3g on 3.1.3 and tried using redsn0w to jailbreak to ios 4.0, but during the downloading jailbreak data part the iphone would restart without cydia installed. I was looking around and was wondering whether I needed to upgrade to a stock version of 4.01 then jailbreak to 4.01 from that point. Thank you for your responses.

2. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Redsn0w does not upgrade firmware. You can either upgrade to 4.0.1 and then jailbreak with redsn0w, or create/obtain a custom 4.0 firmware made with PwnageTool and upgrade directly to a jailbroken 4.0.

3. Obese Lobsters thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for the response, but I don't think that I can create a custom 4.0 ipsw for the 3g only the 3gs. If I upgrade the 3g to 4.0.1 using stock firmware then can I jailbreak to 4.0.1 because I don't know if the current version of redsn0w supports 4.0.1. I'm trying to unlock the 3g to sell it for a iphone 4. thank you for your responses