Jailbreaking iPhone 3gs 4.2.1 05.15.04

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by coes66, Jan 8, 2011.

1. coes66 macrumors newbie

Hello and sorry for the question (I HAVE googled it and searched these, and many other, forums to no avail).

What is the simplest and safest way to jailbreak a 3gs with iOS 4.2.1 and 05.15.04 base? I've read so many threads the past few days that I'm utterly lost.

Is there a way to do this without using the iPad base?

Quick caveat: Using AT&T and want to tether without having to pay the extra $20 because I cannot get cable/dsl where I live (in fact, cell coverage only even became available a month ago here thanks to a new tower being built) and am so sick of dial-up. I don't plan on using my connection to torrent or dll anything, as I can do that on campus so please don't flame me for wanting to use my measly 2 gig allotment as my primary connection. :)

Thanks in advance for any replies!

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

3. coes66 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, Greek. I've hit that site before, but wasn't sure if it was legit.

I guess I'll suck it up and just give it a try. :)

4. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Figure out what your bootrom is first. A tethered jailbreak is a pain in the kisser for most users.

5. coes66 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup. It's the newer bootrom (359.3.2) but it would still be better than paying an extra 20 bucks a month just to use the internet.

Additionally, am I understanding this correctly: if I jailbreak this phone will I have to connect it to one of my comps every time I power up my phone?

6. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Yep. And for a tethering app in Cydia look for MyWi ($20) or PDANet ($15?).

It's a one time buy and both apps act as wi-fi hots spots as well. I have MyWi and it works great with my MacBook pro. Having the unlimited data plan still is also a plus.

7. coes66 thread starter macrumors newbie

Uggh. I might hold off on breaking the phone then.

But yeah, I was going to try MyWi. I've read it drains the battery pretty fast, though, so I was thinking about trying TetherMe. I can't find either on the Cydia site...will those apps only appear after breaking and installing the cydia store?

Thanks again for all of the great information.

8. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Everything will be in Cydia.

9. coes66, Jan 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2011

coes66 thread starter macrumors newbie

Though I was a bit afraid to try this, it was actually extremely easy and painless. I thought I would lose my current data and apps when I jailbroke (shows how much I know), but everything remained in tact (I did backup before breaking, just in case).

I grabbed TetherMe and it works great. No more 20 dollar fee for me. :) I'll give MyFi a try later on.

I found this video (and the links listed in the desc) to be particularly helpful: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=iv&v=P6RJcxqFdE4&annotation_id=annotation_274989

Thank you again for all the help!