Jailbreaking Iphone 4.0.1

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Yass-Attack, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Yass-Attack macrumors member

I was wondering

1) What is the best method to go about jailbreaking 4.0.1. Are there more than 1 major sites our there. I'm open to downgrading if needed.
    2) Also is there a way to permanently mess up your iphone even after attempting to do a full restore?
    3) After the jailbreak, would I lose something I had in the original non-jailbreaked Iphone? Apparently the usage info does not show anymore, is this true?

2. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

1. Use jailbreakme.com
    2. Highly unlikely. Only permanent damage can occur if you physically mess something up, i.e. get it wet, break something, etc.
    3. No. Your phone will still function as it did unjailbroken. In the event that you don't like the jailbreak or whatever, you can always restore to factory settings and have it like new again.

3. RonHC macrumors 6502a

RonHC

1) I would suggest updating to 4.1 (if you like Game Center) which is jailbreakable
    2) The only way i have heard of is stupidly deleting system files but i think a restore can fix 99% of the problems
    3) No you won't

if you dont mind, post feedback on my theme that is on my signature below

4. LinMac macrumors 65816

Download the 4.1 IPSW, use PwnageTool from the dev team, and enjoy your phone with all the latest features while still being unlockable.

5. Yass-Attack thread starter macrumors member

K you guys need to dumb it down a notch for me lol. Does IPSW mean version? Anyhow, I followed the 2nd posters and I think the third poster's advice and just finished downloading version 4.1 for gamecentre.

Also is Pwnagetool the best and what's the difference between that and say quickpwn

ps: RonHC i like your themes thats deffs something along the lines of what i'm trying to get when i jailbreak my iphone

6. Yass-Attack thread starter macrumors member

For partition size when using pwnagetool, is the default 834mb enough? I don't even know what that's for!
    Also, how do i know which packages are good, should i just select them all?

7. RonHC macrumors 6502a

RonHC

which OS are you running?
    Windows or Mac??

8. Yass-Attack thread starter macrumors member

I figured that part out, and pwnagetool even created a .ispw file for me but when i try to restore it, it says that the custom created file is not a compatible file for my iphone4...what do i do?

9. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

http://iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=12348&laid=
    Follow the above instructions.

10. PaHtSaN macrumors regular

Is jailbreakme.com not working for anyone else? It just says not found(error to origin)

11. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

The usage info resets until your next charge every time you re-spring (at least the per-charge info). Many of the jailbreak apps require you to re-spring when you install or update them. So yes, definitely annoying, but once your phone gets settled in, you probably won't notice it.

Looks down to me too