Jailbreaking iPhone 4 and apps draining battery

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by karohan, Feb 18, 2011.

1. karohan macrumors 6502

After jailbreaking an iPhone 4, will my battery drain faster? Are there apps that I can install that will lead my iPhone 4 to lose battery faster? Obviously if I install an emulator or a game, that will drain battery, but I don't want having apps running in the background constantly draining battery.

From what I understand with the non-jailbroken iPhone 4, even though multitasking exists, you don't have to constantly "quit" out of apps to save battery life because it pauses them. Will this continue to happen after jailbreaking? Is there a way to monitor if it is not happening?

2. gregrose macrumors 6502

Ive been JB'in for 2 weeks now & my battery hasnt changed at all. One thing i have made sure to stay away from is winterboard, in the past they beat up my battery fast. So, I guess i would suggest keep away from winterboard, you should be alright. Phone has been running perfect.

3. D3lta macrumors 6502a

What's up with people saying Winterboard drains battery? I've been using it for years (on every iPhone) and haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary. The first thing I do after jailbreaking a new firmware is install Winterboard.

4. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

I'm guessing they went crazy with themes and enabled a dozen things.

Then again, it's just a memory-patching program. I would think it would just eat up a ton of memory if you enable a dozen things with it, not drain the battery.

5. labman macrumors 604

labman

there are a million threads on battery training. there is no correct answer some things will drain it faster. some will not. jb it's self no it's what you install from Cydia. Also how you use them. only way I know to monitor is trial and error.

6. karohan thread starter macrumors 6502

Anyone know any winterboard themes that don't really drain battery? (Also is Winteboard the only way to theme iOS?)

And yeah, I assumed it would be the apps that would, if anything, cause extra battery drain. So I guess my question is, when jailbreaking, does it change the way the iPhone 4 multitasks so that I have random processes running in the background (draining my battery), unless I manually quit out of them? And is there a way to monitor these potential processes to see if they're running (sort of like a system monitor or something?) I wouldn't really need a system monitor though, if it multitasks just like how the stock iPhone multitasks.

7. xavierpunkreno macrumors 6502

The only winterboard tweaks that would drain battery are live wallpapers or widgets; things that constantly refresh for new information. If you don't use those tweaks, you'll have no negative effect on battery.