Jailbreaking iPhone 4 for Customization

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by panda&co., Jul 11, 2011.

1. panda&co. macrumors newbie

So basically, I just received a 16 GB iPhone 4, which will seem kind of silly, seeing as how everyone's saying that the next iPhone is looking to come out in September. But no biggie, I guess I'll have to soak up these supposed last two months of having the latest iPhone.

My biggest issue with the iPhone 4, along with every other iPhone produced, is the lack of capability to customize. The Retina display is great, as well as the interface, but I get tired of looking and hearing the things that the iPhone 4 came with and no more. The SMS text tones and ringtones -- I don't have the option to change these to anything other than what the iPhone offers me, and I really don't want to have to pay every time I want a new ringtone. After a brief research session, I learned that one could not change these particular things without jailbreaking it, so I decided to look into it. However, being a complete noob with things concerning the "unofficial," I am worried and questioning a few things.

1. How does one go about jailbreaking the iPhone? I've heard of programs, but I'm not sure how it works. Do you just open the program and let it do the work? What program is most used or recommended?

2. What are the risks of jailbreaking your iPhone? Is there a chance of damaging my iPhone internally, messing up software and such?

3. Other than being able to customize more freely and free apps, what are the perks of having a jailbroken iPhone/iPod/iPad?

Thanks to anyone who actually read through this long post, and even more to anyone who can help. :)

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

1. iOS 4.2.8 and 4.3.3 can be jailbroken with jailbreakme.com

2. None. If anything goes wonky, a restore wipes away the jailbreak

3. Mywi, fakeclockup, infinidock, folderenhancer, barrel, ect. Free apps is not a perk, its piracy and a violation of the forum rules. Pay for your apps.

3. dangerfish macrumors 6502

4. labman macrumors 604

labman

there is a iphone hack section here where you should address you attention. Iphone Hack Section Link I recommend you start by reading the stickies there. Also there are many customization threads there, recommended apps etc. www.Iclarified.com has all your tutorials Jailbreakme.com has had allot of problems I just had to rejailbreak and Redsn0w is still at the top for me.

5. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

1. Update your iPhone 4 to 4.3.3 and jailbreak with Redsn0w. Last time I checked, JBME was buggy and the installation of certain apps (namely BiteSMS) would induce boot loops.

2. A jailbreak will do nothing negative to your phone. Sometimes tweaks that you install may conflict but it can be fixed by simply removing the tweaks or apps that conflict. If for some strange reason your phone is rendered unusable, simply restore with iTunes to factory defaults and re-jailbreak.

3. I wouldn't talk too much about 'free apps' here. Pirating apps from Apple's App Store is illegal and it's against forum policy to speak of that. However, in addition to using themes, some really cool apps that can be acquired legally are:

BiteSMS: Replaces the native texting app and allows for quick reply while using the phone and also on the lock screen.

Activator: You can remap what each button does on the phone in addition to lots of other cool stuff.

SBSettings: Puts what you want from the Settings app in an easily accessible place that pops up just by using a gesture defined in Activator.

:)

6. panda&co. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the information! :) And yeah, I don't really plan on doing any pirating, I have no issue with paying from the iTunes store, I was just looking for other bonuses with jailbroken devices. :)

7. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Just be aware all is not roses for some folks after a jailbreak. Some apps can cause all sorts of greif and sometimes the jailbreak can cause funky behavior on the device.

8. SL4VE macrumors 6502

i think what your talking about is the major issue between the chair and the desk

9. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

All the OP has to do is read through the iPhone Hacks section.