jailbreaking iphone advantages and disadvantages

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tillery, Jun 3, 2009.

1. tillery macrumors newbie

could someone help me with the advantages and disadvantages on jailbreaking the iphone

2. matttye macrumors 601

Advantages - you can do so much more.

Disadvantages - a lot of apps aren't great because they're written by amateur developers and don't go through the same strict quality/screening process as apps submitted to the app store.

3. tillery thread starter macrumors newbie

4. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

The reason why they're better is because they don't have to conform to Apple's guidelines. Also most of the developers that submit apps to the app store are amateur developers. Which is why a lot of the apps Apple sells are worthless.

5. Bodah macrumors regular

You will still have to pay for any apps you get from the appstore.

Most jailbreak apps are free, but there are some that you do have to pay for. For example, SwirlyMMS has a fee after the trial period.

6. tillery thread starter macrumors newbie

if i have already registered my credit card with itunes and want to jailbreak would that make a difference

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

How? Why? No, it won't.

8. Bodah macrumors regular

It doesn't matter at all if you have registered your card with iTunes.

Think of jailbreaking this way.
    When you jailbreak your phone, you enable non-apple approved software to be installed, and gives you access to the phone. That is the only thing that jailbreaking does.

One of those new pieces of software is Cydia. Cydia is like another appstore where you can get other programs, ones that apple doesn't have their paws into.

9. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

if you are not careful of what you install you can really slow down your phone or make it crash more. so you may have to redo your phone a few times to work it out. winterboard is a bad one for slowing your phone down. I found with updates the apps from rock your phone do it too now.

10. tillery thread starter macrumors newbie

Bodah, if i jailbreak my phone couold i ever resore it back to normal

11. Bodah macrumors regular

12. bigmouth macrumors 6502

It's a simple cost-benefit analysis for me. Let's say the probability of catastrophic failure (i.e., your phone is bricked and Apple won't replace it) is 1%. The cost of a new 16GB phone is $299. That means the expected cost of jailbreaking is $2.99 (.01 x 299) for me. I get way more than $2.99 in value from background processes, SBS Settings, notification icons, etc.. So jailbreaking is a no-brainer for me.

13. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

Go to YouTube and watch some "How to jailbreak" videos. Its really easy and if you don't like it just restore, but you'll be glad you did.

14. HisNameIsChris macrumors newbie

Tell that to the guy who lost his $299 iPhone. Personally, the expected cost of jailbreaking (although there's a 1% chance of there being a cost) is $299. If you lose your iPhone, are you personally going to be paying $2.99 for it? Maybe the average cost over 1000 users will be so, but on an individual basis the argument is simply not true.

Sorry for the rant.

Now, onto business. I've never experienced an irrecoverable problem jailbreaking so far after around 2 years of doing so, which means it is fairly safe. The major problem with jailbreaking is that you have a high chance of freezing your iphone/ipod (eg. through installing corrupted system files) which will require a full restore. The main kicker is waiting for all the music to transfer only to freeze it a second time due to the same mistake. If you run into this issue, restore your iphone without any music or videos, and install all the apps you need first. That way, to restore and reinstall the apps when you make a mistake it will take only 10 to 15 minutes rather than 30 to 60.

15. thelordnyax macrumors regular

He's not talking about losing the phone at all, jailbreaking the phone doesn't affect your chances of losing it.
    and he was being generous with the 1% chance of permanently bricking it, even that seems unlikely...i think to make it irreparable, you'd have to be TRYING to do so...or just REALLY unlucky/accident prone.

It's a valid argument, I just don't think YOU understood it...because, again, it has nothing to do with LOSING the iPhone...