Jailbreaking iPhone

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Nba247365, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Nba247365 macrumors member

Will Apple and/or AT&T know if I jailbreak my iPhone?

2. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

You have to be very careful, once you jailbreak either Apple or ATT will break into your house at night and abduct you. then they will force you to re load the factory software.

Sorry about that. No they have no way to tell unless you tell them, as I always do. They always say cool :) and love all my mods.

PS>>> I wouldnt recommend telling them, just because I am not scared.

3. TheVidEditor macrumors regular

TheVidEditor

4. Nba247365 thread starter macrumors member

So there is no way for me to be charged extra??

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

6. Nba247365 thread starter macrumors member

I don't know, anything...that's why I'm asking.

7. uneek1 macrumors regular

ATT doesn't care what you do to your phone as long as you pay your bill, and don't tether. With Apple, all it does is void the warranty.

8. daveb1983 macrumors newbie

you can jailbreak any idevice for free and apple or whoever will never know. if ever you want to revert back to how your phone was shipped just restore via iTunes. The only thing i would suggest is if you ever need to take your phone back to be repaired or whatever, do an itunes restore first and they will be none the wiser, however take it in jailbroken and they may not want anything to do with it. Make sure you back up all your jailbroken apps with either Rock or something like PKGbackup so when you get it back you can just re-JB and restore them.

9. Nba247365 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks uneek1 and daveb1983. Also, I heard that jailbreaking it, ruins/breaks your iPhone. True, or no?

10. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Of course you can be charged extra:

For going over your minutes
    For exceeding your texting limit
    For exceeding your data limit

For being jailbroken.... NO !
    :rolleyes:

11. Ke1ington macrumors 6502a

Ke1ington

No. There's nothing a jailbreak can do to your phone that a simple restore in iTunes can't fix.

12. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Where are you getting this CRAP ?? :eek:

Wherever it is, I would quit wasting my time reading or listening to wherever or whomever is feeding you this stuff.

Dude, it's a software modification. If you don't like it you go back to the original software/firmware.

Just like upgrading the software on your home computer. :rolleyes:

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I wouldnt suggest you jailbreaking or doing anything to your iphone at this time.
    If you're asking questions like that then it means you have no business trying to jailbreak your iphone.
    You need to do alot more research and educate yourself a little before you attempt it. Search and google is your friend.
    Good luck.

14. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

+1

15. daveb1983 macrumors newbie

jailbreaking will never ruin or break your iphone so no need to worry about that. The only risky part is not knowing what the packages you download actually do, this may cause conflicts and lead to instability on your phone i.e it may start in safe mode a few times.
    with cydia (the jailbroken version of the app store) it asks you what type of user you are when you 1st load it up, here if you click 'user graphical only' and not developer, then most of the programs that could cause problems will be filtered out.
    I would advise you try the jailbreak as it is an easy process and you get a lot out of it. The worst thing that will ever happen is you will need to restore your phone via itunes as mentioned before, although this can be a pain if you have a lot of jailbroken apps but there are ways around having to reinstall all of them too, i would recommend a cydia app called PKGbackup, always worrk reaslly nice for me.

So to clear things up
    1) sync with itunes to backup
    2) jailbreak
    3) install and use cydia as a 'user' not developer to download what you want
    4) back up jailbroken apps with PKGbackup and sync regularly with itunes
    Enjoy ur new phone!!

if you ever run into troubles
    1) sync with itunes (if you can)
    2) restore via itunes
    3) restore from backup on itunes (it will automatically ask you to do this) this will reinstall all ur app store apps, photos, music, text etc
    4) re jailbreak
    5) reinstall cydia and download PKGbackup again
    6) run PKGbackup to restore jailbroken apps

its not tough especially after ur first try, u learn as you go along like i did, so i would recommend giving it a go!!

Hope this helps

16. bettyrus macrumors newbie

pkgbackup

:eek:Will i have to repurchae pkgbackup if i need to restore and jailbreak my iphone again? I dont want to keep paying for it over and over again.

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, you never have to pay again for any apps on the cydia store.
    You just log in to your account using either your facebook or google ID.