jailbreaking it...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kolture1, Sep 3, 2008.

1. kolture1 macrumors newbie

i am wondering if its worth it to jailbreak the iphone.i have been going back and forth about it but im not sure..should i do it or not..

2. kerbero9 macrumors member

I've been wondering the same thing. There are not that many applications that have been upgraded for the 2.x firmware. The official App Store has seemed to fill that void anyway.

So other than some cool themes and an NES emulator:cool: I really see no reason.

And let's not forget that the 2.1 firmware is apparently right around the corner. So if you jailbreak today you'll be going through the whole process again very shortly.

Am I missing something?

3. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

After being on the fence about jailbreaking I finally did. My conclusion is there is little of value on the installers. I already bought netshare so tethering isn't a problem for me. Most of the stuff available is just themes, which I could care less about.

The selection of available apps does seemsparce compared to the jailbroken first gen phone i had.

4. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

heres a few tips about jailbreaking/unlocking your iphone

- If you run t-mobile and want an iphone this creates a benefit for that. the installer also has a lil thing for you to use a t-mobile internet plan to go on the internet on it.

-Some 3rd party apps are very nice and nifty to use and have

although you wont be able to use the new 2.0 applications apple has out. theres not a lot of "good" installer apps. theres some that mod your camera to zoom or take videos which can be useful. but the quality probably isnt so great. after i jailbroke/unlocked mine i decided to put it back to regular firmware. the jailbreaking advantages isnt very useful now that apple has released more "wantable" things for the new 2.0 update

if you ever plan to googld ZiPhone

but i recommend that you dont, just stay legit and stuff.

5. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Umm, where did you hear that one? You can absolutely use any and all App Store apps with a jailbroken phone.

6. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

This thread has a serious bias.

I have a few things that I consider invaluable. The WiFiToggle and BTSwap allow me to activate/deactivate these services with a single tap. OpenSSH allows complete control over the filesystem and is the exclusive solution to the iPhone crashing to the Apple logo problem. OfflineMaps allows me to keep the entire local infrastructure of GoogleMaps available when I am in low or no service areas. This has really saved me in Carmel Valley! Lastly, I tailored the appearance to my aesthetic wishes (screenshot below).

[​IMG]

7. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

Winterboard! It is amazing what you can do with this app. If you want themes on your iPhone, you should jailbreak for sure.

Its not really that big of deal. If you dont like it, you can restore to original, or upgrade to 2.1 when it comes out and your phone will be un-jailbroken.

8. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

after reading all the bricked jailbroken phones.... for things like an NES emulator.. i will wait until all the kinks have been worked out before jailbreaking

if you can afford to buy a new iphone In the case you brick your phone then i would say the choice is up to you

9. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

All of the problems have been worked out now. There is no way you can brick your phone with QuickPwn or PwnageTool if you are just jailbreaking. Also, all of the Bugs in Cydia are fixed as of the latest version. No more slow downs or battery suckage because it doesn't quit properly.

Just look at what you can do: http://macthemes2.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16781377&p=175

There is a lot more to jailbreaking then an NES emulator.

10. iblastoff macrumors 6502

the nes emulator is probably the least appealing thing for jailbroken iphones.

i can now see my battery life in actual percentage, place 5 icons on the main dock rather than 4, see my calendar/incoming emails/sms right on my lock screen, increase the overall volume of the iphone, delete individual calls from my history, custom sms tones, have a camera app that can zoom in and out along with tons of other features, can now record video, etc etc tons of random stuff.