Jailbreaking kill battery?

tom2847

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2007
I love my iPhone 4 battery and don't wanna ruin it at all.

If I jailbreak with this new comex "STAR" jailbreak, and install like SBSettings, BiteSMS and a few others....but not Winterboard....will the battery decrese more?

What I am asking, does SBSettings use any type of battery when not being used? And just jailbreaking...will that kill any battery?

Kayan

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
CA
I love my iPhone 4 battery and don't wanna ruin it at all.

If I jailbreak with this new comex "STAR" jailbreak, and install like SBSettings, BiteSMS and a few others....but not Winterboard....will the battery decrese more?

What I am asking, does SBSettings use any type of battery when not being used? And just jailbreaking...will that kill any battery?
JB'ing without installing any apps, shouldn't hurt anything (battery, performance), but I have heard Winterboard is not helpful for battery. iPhone4 processor is so good it should be able to handle a lot in any case. Haven't heard bad things about SBS...if there are, they aren't too bad, at least not so bad that it isn't worth going without:)

moussekateer

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
It depends on the programs you install. Sbsettings doesn't use battery when not in use. Just use common sense when choosing what apps to install.

saxon48

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2010
Barad-dûr
Intensive backgrounding, and using alot of themes/tweaks on Winterboard can have an adverse effect. SBSettings will not harm the battery one bit though.

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
iDeaded myself
Every time I have jailbroken an iPhone it has done terrible things to battery life and overall performance.

Now we can carrier unlock our iPhones I stay away from all these hacks. People are putting a lot of trust in the people making this stuff available to not be evil.

moussekateer

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
Every time I have jailbroken an iPhone it has done terrible things to battery life and overall performance.

Now we can carrier unlock our iPhones I stay away from all these hacks. People are putting a lot of trust in the people making this stuff available to not be evil.
Then you don't know how to use a jailbroken phone.

moussekateer

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
People are putting a lot of trust in the people making this stuff available to not be evil.
Are you implying the poor battery performance on your jailbroken iPhone was because the dev team have done something 'evil'?

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
Are you implying the poor battery performance on your jailbroken iPhone was because the dev team have done something 'evil'?
I don't think anyone is saying they're deliberately evil. However, some of the developers aren't very careful when it comes to programs that put a strain on the processor and/or battery. The OP is simply asking if the programs he listed will cause a noticeable strain.

moussekateer

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
I don't think anyone is saying they're deliberately evil. However, some of the developers aren't very careful when it comes to programs that put a strain on the processor and/or battery. The OP is simply asking if the programs he listed will cause a noticeable strain.
My reply wasn't to the OP. But I agree you should be careful what you install. If you come across a program you don't recognize, google it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.