Jailbreaking kill battery?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by tom2847, Aug 1, 2010.

1. tom2847 macrumors regular

I love my iPhone 4 battery and don't wanna ruin it at all.

If I jailbreak with this new comex "STAR" jailbreak, and install like SBSettings, BiteSMS and a few others....but not Winterboard....will the battery decrese more?

What I am asking, does SBSettings use any type of battery when not being used? And just jailbreaking...will that kill any battery?

2. Kayan macrumors 6502

JB'ing without installing any apps, shouldn't hurt anything (battery, performance), but I have heard Winterboard is not helpful for battery. iPhone4 processor is so good it should be able to handle a lot in any case. Haven't heard bad things about SBS...if there are, they aren't too bad, at least not so bad that it isn't worth going without:)

3. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

It depends on the programs you install. Sbsettings doesn't use battery when not in use. Just use common sense when choosing what apps to install.

4. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

Intensive backgrounding, and using alot of themes/tweaks on Winterboard can have an adverse effect. SBSettings will not harm the battery one bit though.

5. 314631 macrumors 6502a

Every time I have jailbroken an iPhone it has done terrible things to battery life and overall performance.

Now we can carrier unlock our iPhones I stay away from all these hacks. People are putting a lot of trust in the people making this stuff available to not be evil.

6. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

Then you don't know how to use a jailbroken phone.

7. 314631 macrumors 6502a

Yes that must be it. :D

8. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

Are you implying the poor battery performance on your jailbroken iPhone was because the dev team have done something 'evil'?

9. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

Evidently, the dev team is out to get us. I'm wearing my tin foil hat as we speak.

10. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

I don't think anyone is saying they're deliberately evil. However, some of the developers aren't very careful when it comes to programs that put a strain on the processor and/or battery. The OP is simply asking if the programs he listed will cause a noticeable strain.

11. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

My reply wasn't to the OP. But I agree you should be careful what you install. If you come across a program you don't recognize, google it.